20

"First off, we performed the same experiment we did on the five other Titans in the past. We tried communicating at first." Hange started.

Since I have nothing better to do for now, I leaned forward and listened.

"I asked the Titans basic questions, like 'How are you?' 'What's your name?' 'Are you in any pain?' " Hange said.

I sweat dropped. "The Titans are nailed and tied up from what I remember, so I'm guessing they're in pain?"

"The first Titan didn't respond, so I walked up to the other Titan we captured." Hange said.

"I asked the Titan the same questions and other things like, how the weather is nice, if they're hungry-"

"Wait, wait, wait. You asked the Titan if its hungry?" I asked in quite disbelief.

Hange covered their mouth and giggled like a high school girl. "Yes! And the Titan tried to bite me like they understood!" they said with a blush on their cheeks.

"She's mad..." Eren silently whispered to me with a sweat drop as Hange kept giggling.

I just nodded with an awkward smile.

Hange suddenly stopped their giggling and a small frown appeared on their face.

"Sadly, that wasn't the case and we concluded yet again that we're unable to communicate with them." Hange said.

"There is one Titan that was able to communicate... Who was it? The Titan that Ilse encountered... then Connie's mom..."

"But-" I focused back on Hange again. "-for me, interacting with Titans is so fulfilling that it temporarily erases my fatigue." Hange said.

"I did another naming ceremony for the Titans." Hange said.

"Naming ceremony?" Eren asked.

"I see you're curious again. Do you want me to tell you what I told them?!" Hange excitedly asked.

Eren and I looked at each other before slowly nodding. Hange clenches their fist with a huge grin.

Hange straightened their back and cleared their throat.

"Oh boy... hope I won't regret this..."

"Long, long ago, in some unknown land, there was a tribe of cannibals. I don't mean Titans like them. They're a tribe of humans." Hange said.

"They hid themselves in caves on a mountainside, attacked travelers on nearby roads, robbed them of their valuables, killed them, and ate their flesh."

Eren slightly scrunched his face in disgust while I cringed.

"Yup, here we go."

"In the end, they continued their gruesome ways for 25 years. During that time, it's said victims numbered over 500. In all likelihood, that's more humans than the two Titans have eaten. They also tried their hand at various ways to eat." Hange said and looked at us.

"Like eating the buttocks as steaks. Or cubing the thighs and making stew with them. The tougher meat was minced, kneaded, and fried. Clots of blood and innards were made into sausages."

"What the fuck..." Eren muttered under his breath and backed up.

"They had a basic grasp of 'cooking'." Hange said with a small grin.

"But because of a single mistake, that tribe of cannibals was caught and executed. That's how they're similar to the Titans. They made the mistake of attacking mankind and now are caught."