Screaming Match

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"You never told me you had a girlfriend," Iris whispered in shock.

Sirius' face had grown paler than usual, "I had a lot of girlfriends," he said quietly, eyes swimming with memories.

Iris could still see the expression his younger face held when he looked at Audrey. She had a hard time believing he looked at every girl like that. His eyes lit up when he looked at her, showing an obvious attachment that went far beyond the relationship being just another one of his flings.

"Not like that." Iris shook her head, "She was different."

Her godfather's eyebrows wrinkled together, breaking his mild trance, "What are you talking about?"

Iris held her hand out and the old photo shot up from the floor to meet it. She stared down at the two teenagers, waving at her. 

"I saw it— you and her... and my dad."

Sirius' eyes were wide with confusion, "But— how?"

Iris frowned in confusion, "I— legilimency I guess. I did it once before... when you first broke into Hogwarts."

She had nearly forgotten that night, but now the memories of it came rushing back. She had seen through the Fat Lady's painting that Halloween night. Iris hadn't even meant to, it was like she had been almost drawn towards the portrait.

Sirius ran a disoriented hand through his hair, looking at the floor, "How is that even possible?"

"I don't know, Sirius," Iris said, truly uncertain, "They never said anything about it," she muttered to herself.

Her godfather's head snapped up to look at her, "They? Iris, who—" His voice broke off. She could practically see the connections being made behind his eyes. A frenzied look of realisation came over him, "Audrianna... and you... no."

"Sirius—"

His eyes grew wide, his gaze moving to her hands as if expecting to see something.

"It's not possible." Sirius ran stressed hands repeatedly through his hair and began pacing back and forth in front of Iris, talking to himself, "But Harry— twins... of course. How did I not see it sooner?" he muttered.

"Sirius—" Iris tried again.

He suddenly stopped pacing, turning to Iris so quickly she almost jumped, "You've been in contact with her? You met Audrey?"

She couldn't quite tell the emotion that was across his face. His words were angry but his eyes were eager.

"Yes!" She said exasperated, confused with his cryptic muttering, "But why have neither of you mentioned this before?"

Sirius froze, a sudden flush coming to his face, "I— uh... it was a bad breakup..."

"But you know about what she is, so you were obviously close— she wouldn't have told just anyone."

Sirius' face momentarily flashed with pain, "Yeah, we were, a long time ago. Now she's dragging you and Harry into her mess of a life—"

Iris cut him off, "Not Harry... it's just me, I'm an anomaly."

Her godfather looked as though he might explode at any moment.

"Sirius, what happened? Why are you freaking out?"

He stepped forward and grabbed her wrists, holding her hands up in front of her face. "This will get you killed. How do you think Audrey and Mira became the leaders so young? Everyone else died in the first war."

"Sirius, I'm already marked for death."

"Not like this," Sirius emphasised her hands before dropping them, "This is a target on your back for more than just Voldemort's loser squadron. There are people in this world who can't stand to let others be special."

"There will be people coming after me no matter what, Sirius. Voldemort's not just going to disappear now that he's back." Iris was suddenly feeling very heated as she spoke back to Sirius, "Harry's the bloody chosen one, and no matter how I fit into this mess of blood sacrifices, everyone already knows I'm his biggest weakness!"

"I'm not just going to be okay with that, Iris!" Sirius burst out.

They were both yelling now.

"You don't have to be! But this is my life, and it's not gonna change just because you want it to!"

Sirius made a sound of frustration, "I want to talk to Audrey— where is she?"

Right on cue, a small piece of parchment suddenly appeared between them, slowly drifting to the floor. Before it could touch the dusty floorboards, Sirius jumped forward and snatched it out of the air.

Iris' godfather took one look at the parchment before an angry exhale left his nose. She took note of how his eyes, though alight with a tamed rage, glimmered with the faintest hint of hopeful anticipation.

Sirius ran a frustrated hand over his mouth before he stepped forward and pulled Iris into a hug, to her surprise. She could hear him release a heavy sigh as he held her close. One of his hands was on the back of her head as it rested on his chest.

Iris couldn't help but think of the photograph still held in her hand, taken by James Potter. Trading screams back and forth with Sirius felt like she had just gotten into an argument with her dad like any other normal teenage girl. Except he wasn't her dad, and she wasn't normal. Sirius held her in his embrace with the comfort that Iris assumed only a father could bring, and she thought to herself how strange it was to have someone try to fill that hole that had been present her entire life.

He pulled back, grabbing her hand and folding the parchment into her clutch. Then, with a frown etched into his face, Sirius quickly left the room.

With furrowed brows, Iris looked down at her closed fist where Sirius had planted the parchment. She flipped the now slightly crinkled paper over to reveal to message left.

"29th of August, 2:00, Grimmauld Place.
I think it is time we talk. ~A"

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

this chapter was so frustrating to write for literally no reason, but I hope you guys enjoyed the drama! I also wanted to drop in here that I made a mini change to the III. ORDER OF THE PHOENIX chapter bc I wanted to add more spice to this act and I love scaring you guys

question of the day! i'd love to know your favourite book in the harry potter series! I think mine is either goblet of fire or half-blood prince!