Back to Hogwarts

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

The rest of the holiday break went by quickly— too quickly for Iris' liking. She spent the rest of Christmas Day with Harry, Sirius, and Remus, celebrating the holiday with her remaining family for the first time.

A number of things occurred over the next few days. First, news broke of Alice Longbottom's miraculous recovery. No one could understand how it had happened, and obviously, almost no one knew the truth, so instead the public had no choice but to view it as a magical miracle. Iris noticed a distinctive change in the attitudes of Order members who came and went through Grimmauld Place that day; everyone seemed happier, there was a certain sense of new hope in the air.

Though Mr Weasley soon regained health and returned to Twelve Grimmauld Place much to everyone's delight, Alice was dealt with in a much more delicate manner. The Order would have loved to have one of their original members back, but it seemed as though all eyes were on the Longbottoms and no one would be able to make a move. Dumbledore reached out to her covertly, giving her an update on the situation at hand without the Ministry's denial interfering.

On another note, a few of the residents at the house came to take notice of a particular absence since they had first arrived. Iris could not remember the last time she had seen Kreacher, but she was quite certain it had not been since the first night all of the children left Hogwarts.

It had been weeks when Iris brought this up to her godfather, but he brushed it off vaguely. Days later, the house-elf was located. Kreacher, it transpired, had been lurking in the attic. Sirius said he had found him up there, covered in dust, no doubt looking for more relics of the Black family to hide in his cupboard. Though Sirius seemed satisfied with this story, it made Iris uneasy. Kreacher seemed to be in a better mood on his reappearance, his bitter muttering had subsided somewhat, and he submitted to orders more docilely than usual, though once or twice Iris caught the house-elf staring avidly at her or Harry, always looking quickly away when he saw that one of them had noticed.

Fearful of worsening his mood, Iris did not mention her vague suspicions to Sirius, whose cheerfulness was evaporating fast now that Christmas was over. As the date of their departure back to Hogwarts drew nearer, he became more and more prone to what Mrs Weasley called "fits of the sullens," in which he would become taciturn and grumpy, often withdrawing to Buckbeak's room for hours at a time. His gloom seeped through the house, oozing under doorways like some noxious gas so that all of them became infected by it.

1996 arrived and soon all of the students would be returning to school. Iris did not want to leave Sirius all alone again with only Kreacher for company, but her worries were quenched by Remus' announcement that he would be remaining at Twelve Grimmauld Place for the rest of the school year. He chalked it up to safety and ease for his relations with the Order, which Iris was sure was part of it, but truly she believed their godfathers were lonely and in need of the company from their best friends.