Spilling the Tea

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

A bit later, they had made it to Hogwarts and were seated in the Great Hall waiting to eat.

At the High Table, Lupin sat with Professor Snape and Professor McGonagall, along with the quartet's good friend, Rubeus Hagrid.

At the large golden chair in the middle of the long table sat Professor Dumbledore, the Headmaster.

Iris was entertained as she watched the faces of the students in the choir who were singing to the strains of a harpsichord. She recognized one of the toads that were singing along to be Trevor, Neville's toad. Iris glanced at the boy who was looking on with pride.

Mr Filch, Hogwarts' caretaker, stood grimly to the side as red-eyed Mrs Norris swished her tail at his feet.

As the choir's song concluded, Dumbledore rose, beaming over the sea of black hats.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair..." he trailed off.

McGonagall cleared her throat.

"Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor," Dumbledore gestured his hand to Professor Lupin.

Amid scattered applause, Iris, Harry, Ron, Hermione clapped loudly.

Hermione leaned over the table, "Of course! That's why he knew to give you two the chocolate."

Dumbledore continued, "As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!"

Iris, Harry, Ron, and Hermione stared at each other, stunned, then joined in on the applauding, which was tumultuous at the Gryffindor table in particular.

Iris leaned forward to see Hagrid, who was ruby red in the face and staring down at his enormous hands, his wide grin hidden in the tangle of his black beard.

"We should've known!" Ron roared, pounding the table. "Who else would have assigned us a biting book?"

Iris, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were the last to stop clapping, and as Professor Dumbledore started speaking again, they saw that Hagrid was wiping his eyes on the tablecloth.

Dumbledore's face turned grave, "Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts... at the request of the Ministry of Magic, will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban."

A murmur of apprehension filled the hall. At the Slytherin table, Draco Malfoy, flanked by the ever-present Crabbe and Goyle, caught Harry's eye, pretending to faint.