The First Task

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"The first task is dragons," Iris said.

It was the morning after her meeting with Sirius and the day after she and Harry had found out about the dragons, and she immediately went to find Cedric to inform him. She had found her boyfriend in the Great Hall with Logan, Maddie, and Kasper, but had dragged him out of the castle and towards the Black Lake. With her arm wound around his as they stepped in unison, a soft chilly breeze blew across the grounds, picking up Iris' hair and sweeping it behind her.

Cedric's head snapped down to look at her, his beautiful grey eyes wide, "What?"

"They've got one for each of us, Harry and I saw them last night," Iris told him.

Cedric stared at her, halting the two of them in place as Iris' arm slipped down till her hand fell in his, "Are you sure?" She hummed in confirmation and he continued, "What have we got to do with them?"

Iris sighed, gazing out across the sparkling lake water as she shrugged, "As far as I can tell, we just have to get past them."

She could see the panic in his eyes, she didn't have to look in his mind to know just how worried he now was, "But how did you find out?" He asked, "We're not supposed to know..."

"Don't worry about that," Iris said – she knew Hagrid would be in trouble if she told the truth. "But I'm not the only one who knows. Fleur and Krum will know by now - Maxime and Karkaroff both saw the dragons too."

Cedric sighed heavily, "Right, well... just a dragon... easy."

Iris laughed, "Just a dragon... It'll be fine."

She wasn't sure she believed her own words.

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

The morning of the first task, Iris woke up early. She didn't get much sleep at all really, having had trouble falling asleep the night before, instead staring up at the dark ceiling as her stomach churned with anxiety. She was exhausted yet at the same time she felt more awake than ever. Before even the sun had risen she had gotten out of bed, sitting in the common room in her fluffy pyjama bottoms and one of Harry's t-shirts. Iris didn't stay there long before venturing out into the castle, the light pattering of her socked feet and the snoring of the portraits on the walls the only sounds that could be heard.

The teenage witch roamed through the castle before coming upon the stairwell up to Dumbledore's office. Upon her arrival, the large stone gargoyle that guarded the entrance shifted, granting her passage. Iris walked up the steps, arms wrapped tightly around herself until she reached the top and pushed the heavy door open.

It was quite dark in the room, with only a couple of candles lit faintly on the walls. Ignoring the emptiness if the room, Iris sat herself down in the plush armchair that rested in front of the Headmaster's desk and folded her legs up crisscrossed. Letting the backs of her hands fall loosely over her knees as her eyes closed, she tuned out everything and looked into the darkness.