The Truth

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Sirius Black stared at Iris with sad eyes before he nodded behind himself in a gesture of telling her to follow him. He then shifted back into a dog and trotted off into the forest with Iris following close behind.

Sirius led her deeper into the forest and it was a few minutes later when Iris finally realized where he was leading her.

He stopped just in front of the Whomping Willow and Iris walked up to stand next to him. Sirius, still as a dog, then got down on all fours to be laying on his stomach before shimmying under the wild branches and tapping a small knot on the base of the tree. The Whomping Willow went still suddenly and Sirius beckoned her forward into a hidden tunnel in a large gap in the roots.

Iris glanced over her shoulder at the castle before crawling down the hole after Sirius Black. She slid down an earthy slope to the bottom of a very low tunnel. She followed Sirius silently along the tunnel for the next few minutes.

And then the tunnel began to rise; moments later it twisted, and Sirius had gone. Ahead Iris could see a patch of dim light through a small opening.

Iris raised her head out of the tunnel opening to see what lay beyond. It was a room, a very disordered, dusty room. Paper was peeling from the walls; there were stains all over the floor; every piece of furniture was broken as though somebody had smashed it. The windows were all boarded up.

Iris pulled herself up out of the tunnel and into the room, looking around with wide eyes.

"The Shrieking Shack," Iris said to a now human Sirius Black.

He nodded, still staring at her.

"I expect you are eager to know the truth," he said hoarsely.

His voice sounded as though he had long since lost the habit of using it. "I guess I'll start at the beginning."

Neither one took their eyes off of the other, each staring, mostly in wonder, at the person in front of them.

Standing across from each other, Sirius began his story.

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"So, you're saying Peter Pettigrew is the one who actually betrayed my parents and he is also an animagus and my best friend's pet rat?" Iris said slightly confused.

"Yes, exactly," said Sirius. "You can see for yourself. If the rumors I've heard are true, you're a talented legilimens."

Iris nodded reluctantly.

"I can't help it sometimes. I try not to look through peoples' heads, I feel like I'm invading everyone's privacy, but I can never stop myself," said Iris shamefully.

"Well, I'm giving you permission to look in my head, so go ahead."

Iris took a deep breath making eye contact with Sirius before forcing herself into his mind.