Break-Ins and Break-Throughs

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

The Hall was buzzing with tales of Hogsmeade, as students swapped stories, sampled sweets, and sent soap bubbles of all shapes, sizes and colours into the air.

A marionette of a harlequin cavorted atop the Gryffindor table, moving its limbs in response to the strands of light that extended from Neville's fingertips. Seamus passed his hand through the light beams and the Harlequin collapsed.

"And the post office! It's about two-hundred owls, all sitting on colour- coded shelves, depending on how fast you want your letter to go!" Hermione was recounting the trip in an excited tone.

"And Honeyduke's is brilliant! Sugar Quills, Fizzing Whizbees and blood-flavoured lollipops for Halloween!" Ron added on.

Harry nodded, picking quietly through the spray of brilliantly coloured sweets on the table.

Iris noticed and swiftly kicked her two friends in the shins underneath the table.

"But, I mean, after a while, it got a bit boring. Don't you think, Ron?" Hermione switched quickly.

Ron looked confused for a moment, "Huh? Oh. Yeah. Dead depressing."

Hermione cut in leaning over the table so Iris could hear her better, "Hey, where did you disappear off to, Iris? We were worried sick!"

Iris grabbed herself a slice of pumpkin pie that was sitting in front of her, "I met up with someone else, it's fine, I'll... uh, tell you later," she dodged the question.

Ron suddenly reached into his pocket, "Hang on. I almost forgot. I got you something wicked at Dervish and Banges. It's a Pocket Sneakoscope."

Ron placed a small glass spinning top on the table.

"If there's someone untrustworthy around, it's meant to light up and spin. Mind you, Fred and George say it's rubbish, sold for wizard tourists, but I thought, you know, it can't hurt, given that..." he drifted off.

"Sirius Black's trying to kill us," Harry finished for him, glancing at Iris.

Harry looked up, grinning at the three of them.

"I'm glad you had a good time. Really. And thanks for this," he eyed the Sneakoscope, "Rubbish or not, you're right. It can't hurt."

With that, Harry popped a pepper imp into his mouth.

"Oh, I wouldn't..."

Before she could finish, smoke starting curling from Harry's ears and nose.

"Never mind," she chuckled.

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Later that night, after the feast, Iris, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were climbing the stairs to get back to the Gryffindor common room, but they found a crowd gathered on the Seventh Floor landing.