Smile

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

After two months of having what was arguably the worst time of her life, it was finally November First. Iris had been anxiously waiting for this day, as they would be receiving both their instructions and the date of the first task. The majority of the Hogwarts student body, with the exception of the Gryffindors, had been exceedingly cold towards the Potter twins since their names were drawn. They would whisper about them in the hallways, sending nasty looks their way when one of them walked by. The Hufflepuffs had laid off a little with their aggression which Iris suspected was Cedric's doing.

Her stomach had been flipping all day in anticipation, wondering when they would gather the champions to tell them. She made it through the day without too much trouble, not at all looking forward to double Potions with the Slytherins after lunch. Double Potions was often a horrible experience, but these days it was nothing short of torture for the Potter twins. Being shut in a dungeon for an hour and a half with Professor Snape and the Slytherins, all of whom seemed determined to pick on Harry and rile him up (which wasn't a hard thing to do recently), was about the most unpleasant thing Iris could imagine.

Iris had never been a particularly angry or defensive person, it seemed all of that went to Harry, and so most of the class was spent attempting to hold her brother back. She had already struggled through one Friday's worth, with both her and Hermione sitting next to him intoning "ignore them, ignore them, ignore them" under their breath, and she couldn't see why today should be any better. 

When Iris' usual friend group, minus Ron, arrived at Snape's dungeon after lunch, they found the Slytherins waiting outside, each and every one of them wearing a large badge on the front of his or her robes. She was unconcerned for only a moment before seeing that they all bore the same message, in luminous red letters that burnt brightly in the dimly lit underground passage:

SUPPORT CEDRIC DIGGORY-

THE REAL HOGWARTS CHAMPION!

"Like them, Potters?" said Malfoy loudly as Harry and Iris approached. "And this isn't all they do - look!"

He pressed his badge into his chest, and the message upon it vanished, to be replaced by another one, which glowed green:

POTTER STINKS!

The Slytherins howled with laughter. Each of them pressed their badges too until the message POTTER STINKS was shining brightly all around the twins. Iris sighed, irritated, but not really surprised. Harry, however, could not say the same as his face and neck started turning pink.

"Oh very funny," Hermione said sarcastically to Pansy Parkinson and her gang of Slytherin girls, who were laughing harder than anyone, "really witty. "

Iris would be forever grateful to her best friend for always sticking up for them. Unfortunately, though, Ron was standing against the wall with Dean and Seamus. He wasn't laughing, but he wasn't sticking up for Harry either.