Save Your Tears for Another Day

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

The next day, Iris spent the morning laying on the floor in front of the toilet after sleeping in much later than she usually would. She had ignored the calls from Mrs Weasley and the others that breakfast was ready, instead choosing to hide under her covers while her head pounded until she got the sudden urge to hurl.

Sirius had entered her room a little while later to find her curled up in a ball on the tile of the en suite bathroom. He was in a strange mood, happy, but also hesitant. Iris figured it must have been because Audrianna was coming the next day.

He brought her a few pieces of toast and sat down on the floor beside her in silence, leaning his back against the bath. They didn't speak much for the rest of the morning, but Iris was glad for the silence since she had a splitting headache. She spent the rest of the day in her room with the lights off, only leaving to join everyone for dinner when she was finally starting to feel better.

Iris flinched every time someone laughed a bit too loud, and she noticed halfway through dinner that Remus was watching her from across the table with an odd face, glancing at her barely eaten meal every so often. Iris didn't hurt her head bothering to reach into his mind; it was clear enough that he could tell she was hungover.

Thankfully, Iris made it through the rest of dinner with no other suspicion. She helped Mrs Weasley take care of the dishes while everyone mingled, but Iris noticed Remus stood quickly and walked around the table to Sirius, leaning down and whispering something to him. Iris' godfather nodded, standing up and follow Remus out of the room. Iris cringed slightly, she could guess what he wanted to talk to Sirius about.

Not too long later, Iris left everyone and headed back to her room to wear out the rest of her mistake. When she entered, Iris found Sirius laying on her bed staring at the ceiling. She walked over and lay down beside him, sighing loudly.

A moment later, Sirius said, "Remus knows."

Iris stared at the wooden ceiling, noticing shapes in the planks. "Okay," she said, then waited a second before turning her head sideways to look at her godfather, "Are you ready for tomorrow?"

Sirius closed his eyes tightly, his nose wrinkling. He ran a hand over his face before turning his head toward her, "I'm not sure... I haven't seen her since before I got arrested."

He sounded sad when he said it, and just a bit wistful.

"I'm sorry about last night," Iris started.

Sirius immediately flashed back to the last words she had said to him before falling asleep. At that moment, he had frozen, a strange sensation clawing up his throat as he could do nothing but blink for a minute. Iris couldn't possibly remember what she had said that made his heart both flutter with pride and sink from guilt.

His dead best friend's daughter had called him dad. It made his chest ache with guilt knowing that it should have been James she got to say that to.