Love Me or Hate Me

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Walking into the dark embrace of 12 Grimmauld Place, Iris could feel her stomach begin to flutter with anxiety. She walked a few steps ahead of Harry the whole way back from the Ministry in hopes of minimizing any chance of him starting a conversation with her. Mr Weasley, the poor man, was walking beside Harry trying to indulge in chit-chat with the boy while ignoring the painfully awkward atmosphere to the best of his ability.

Iris led the boys back through the creaky hall toward the kitchen, where she could tell everyone was waiting for Harry to return with news. Her hand hesitated, hovering over the doorknob for a split second before she inhaled and gently pushed the door open.

The chatter within the room halted almost immediately before Hermione's shocked voice broke the silence, "Iris?"

Seconds later, Iris was practically bodyslammed by her best friend, getting squeezed so hard she could hardly breathe.

"Hi Hermione," Iris said quietly.

The bushy-haired girl let go of Iris when Harry walked in the entrance behind her. "Harry! How'd it go?"

"Cleared," Harry said, pulling the door closed behind him, "of all charges!"

"I knew it!" yelled Ron, punching the air. "You always get away with stuff !"

"They were bound to clear you," said Hermione, who had looked positively faint with anxiety when Harry had entered the kitchen and was now holding a shaking hand over her eyes. "There was no case against you, none at all..."

"Everyone seems quite relieved, though, considering they all knew I'd get off," said Harry, smiling.

Iris took advantage of the distraction to slink back into the corner of the room beside Sirius.

Mrs Weasley was wiping her face on her apron, and Fred, George, and Ginny were doing a kind of war dance to a chant that went "He got off, he got off, he got off —"

"That's enough, settle down!" shouted Mr Weasley, though he too was smiling.

Iris leaned over toward her godfather and said lowly, "Listen, Sirius, Lucius Malfoy was at the Ministry—"

"What?" said Sirius sharply.

"He got off, he got off, he got off—"

"Be quiet, you three!" Mr Weasley tried again.

Iris continued, "After the trial we saw him talking to Fudge on level nine, then they went up to Fudge's office together. I think we should tell Dumbledore."

"Absolutely," said Sirius. "We'll tell him, don't worry."

"Well, I'd better get going," Mr Weasley announced loudly, "there's a vomiting toilet in Bethnal Green waiting for me. Molly, I'll be late, I'm covering for Tonks, but Kingsley might be dropping in for dinner—"