One Hundred and Ninety-Two Times

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"Are you having difficulty with your homework? You haven't written anything in a few minutes... you've just been staring at your parchment."

Iris hummed, slowly lifting her eyes to the person sitting across from her. "I just haven't been able to focus on anything very well lately."

They nodded, "Yes, quite understandable really. The first task is the day after tomorrow, isn't it?"

The brunette girl sighed heavily, pressing the palms of her hands against her closed eyelids. The faint golden glow of the setting sun washed over her as it poured in through a nearby window. "Yeah, and I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing."

"Well I believe in you, Iris," she reassured.

Iris smiled lightly, "Thanks, Luna. You're a great friend."

The platinum-haired girl smiled innocently back, "Yes; I quite like having a friend."

Both girls had agreed that it had been too long since they had last hung out, and so they went and sat in the library, doing their homework together. They talked occasionally, but Iris was glad to have the momentary silence. For the last few weeks, since they had announced the date of the First Task, Iris had found it difficult to find a moment alone, where there weren't random students coming up to her and asking about the task or things relating.

The closer the task got the worse her anxiety became, and the higher her stress levels rose. What wouldn't she have given to be able to sit around laughing and talking, with nothing else to worry about but homework? She imagined how it would have felt to be here if hers and Harry's names hadn't come out of the Goblet of Fire. Her brother, who had taken to wearing their dad's old Invisibility Cloak around practically everywhere to avoid confrontation, wouldn't be wearing the Invisibility Cloak, for one thing. Ron wouldn't be ignoring both of them. The two Potters, Hermione, and Ron would probably be imagining what deadly dangerous task the school champions would be facing on Tuesday. She'd have been full of anxiety, only not for herself, watching them do whatever it was... nervously cheering on Cedric with everyone else, safe in a seat at the back of the stands... 

She wondered how the other champions were feeling. Every time she had seen Cedric lately, he had been surrounded by admirers and looking nervous but excited. In the times that they could get away from their relentless supporters for long enough to steal an intimate moment with one another, they tried not to speak about the tournament; there was enough of that happening elsewhere. Iris would catch a glimpse of Fleur Delacour from time to time in the corridors; she looked exactly as she always did, haughty and unruffled. And Krum just sat in the library, pretending to pore over books, though actually watching Hermione.

Iris thought of Sirius, and the tight, tense knot in her chest seemed to ease slightly. She would be speaking to him in just over twelve hours, for tonight was the night they were meeting at the common room fire — assuming nothing went wrong, as everything else had done lately...