Just Did A Bad Thing

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

The rest of the day went by slowly. Iris sat through the rest of DADA in silence, though nothing would help the relentless stares from every angle that ceased to leave her. She practically ran out of the classroom the minute Umbridge dismissed them. The rest of Iris' classes trudged by, none quite as unpleasant but her mod never lifted. Harry regrouped with them at their next lesson together, seeming much more calm.

Though Iris saw him growing noticeably more agitated the closer to his detention the time got. She couldn't blame her brother for being upset and anxious for what his punishment would be. Umbridge was still a widely unknown variable at Hogwarts, and Harry would be the first to see what type of enforcer she was.

Dinner in the Great Hall that night was not a pleasant experience for Iris. The news about Harry's shouting match with Umbridge seemed to have traveled exceptionally fast even by Hogwarts standards. She heard whispers all around her as she sat eating beside her twin and across from Ron and Hermione. The funny thing was that none of the whisperers seemed to mind the Potters overhearing what they were saying about them— on the contrary, it was as though they were hoping Harry would get angry and start shouting again, so that they could hear his story firsthand, maybe this time with a reaction from Iris.

"He says he saw Cedric Diggory murdered..."

"I always knew she was mad..."

"He reckons he dueled with You-Know-Who..."

"Come off it..."

"She's probably mind-controlling Dumbledore and her brother..."

"Who do they think they're kidding?"

"Puh-lease..."

Iris massaged her temples, suppressing the ache.

"What I don't get," said Harry in a shaking voice, laying down his knife and fork (his hands were trembling too much to hold them steady), "is why they all believed the story two months ago when Dumbledore told them..."

"The thing is, Harry, I'm not sure they did," said Hermione grimly. "Oh, let's get out of here."

She slammed down her own knife and fork; Ron looked sadly at his half-finished apple pie but followed suit. People stared at them all the way out of the Hall.

"What d'you mean, you're not sure they believed Dumbledore?" Harry asked Hermione when they reached the first-floor landing.

"Look, you don't understand what it was like after it happened," said Hermione quietly. "You two arrived back in the middle of the lawn clutching—" she paused, glancing hesitantly at Iris, "...Cedric's dead body... None of us saw what happened in the maze... We just had Dumbledore's word for it that You-Know-Who had come back and killed Cedric and fought you."