The High Inquisitor

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Iris was the first awake in her dormitory. She lay for a while watching dust swirl in the chink of sunlight falling through the gap in her four-poster's hangings. Every time her eyes involuntarily blinked closed, her nightmare played on a loop.

It had felt like more than a dream. Maybe a warning of what was to come... some mystical force laughing at her saying 'You thought that was bad? Well, you're really in for it.'

Eventually, Iris decided to just get ready for the day rather than stewing in fear until the others woke up. Judging by the sleepy silence and the freshly minted look of that beam of sunlight, it was just after daybreak. She pulled open the curtains around her bed, got up, and started to dress. The only sound apart from the distant twittering of birds was the slow, deep breathing of her fellow Gryffindors. She grabbed her schoolbag quietly and headed out of the dormitory for the common room.

Iris was the first person to enter the Great Hall that morning and she basked in the silence that came with it. Early sunlight cascaded through the stained glass windows, lighting the room in gold. As Iris sat down at the empty Gryffindor table, a plate appeared in front of her with a light breakfast already prepared. Iris' lips pulled up slightly as she thought of Dobby and Tinky who were in the kitchens and had probably helped to make the meal. She hoped they were doing well.

The brunette reached for her fork and that was when she noticed the relentless quivering of her hand. A shudder ran down her spine as she remembered the sensation of the Cruciatus Curse arcing through her. Iris tried to ignore it and pulled out a book titled Confronting the Faceless to read while she ate. It was a N.E.W.T. level Defense Against the Dark Arts textbook Dumbledore had recommended she read.

Eventually, more students began entering the Great Hall, filling the tables, but Iris was so enraptured by her book that she paid them no attention. At some point, hundreds of plates full of dining options magically appeared across the tables. Iris didn't look up until she heard the familiar voices of Hermione and Ron arguing. They were walking down along the opposite side of the Gryffindor table.

"...I'm not asking you to write all of it for me, just... most of it."

Hermione huffed, "All right; I'll do the introduction— but that's all!"

Ron grinned victoriously, "Hermione you are honestly the most wonderful person I've ever met and if I'm ever rude to you again—"

She laughed, "I'll know you're back to normal."

Harry, who had been walking down the same side of the table where Iris was, sat beside his sister silently. Hermione and Ron sat down opposite the Potter twins, and the three newcomers started piling food onto their golden plates.

"How was detention last night?" Iris asked Harry quietly.

He seized up before quickly trying to play it cool, carefully hiding his left hand from view in his lap under the table. On a normal day, Iris would have immediately noticed the odd behaviour coming from her brother, but she was considerably more distracted than usual that morning.