The Founding of Dumbledore's Army

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"You're telling me Dobby found this place? And it's completely safe?"

Harry hesitated for a second, actually considering his answer, before he nodded reassuringly.

Upon learning that Harry was looking for a place to hold their secret defense group, the house elf had suggested a little-known room called the Room of Requirement. On the night of their first meeting, Iris, Harry, Hermione, and Ron arrived early to check out their new headquarters. It was a spacious room lit with flickering torches like those that illuminated the dungeons eight floors below.

The walls were lined with wooden bookcases, and instead of chairs there were large silk cushions on the floor. A set of shelves at the far end of the room carried a range of instruments such as Sneakoscopes, Secrecy Sensors, and a large, cracked Foe-Glass that Iris was sure had hung, the previous year, in the fake Moody's office.

"These will be good when we're practicing Stunning," said Ron enthusiastically, prodding one of the cushions with his foot.

"And just look at these books!" said Hermione excitedly, running a finger along the spines of the large leather-bound tomes. "A Compendium of Common Curses and Their Counter-Actions... The Dark Arts Outsmarted... Self-Defensive Spellwork... wow..." She looked around at Iris, who was also looking through the collection, Hermione's face glowing, and Iris saw that the presence of hundreds of books had won Hermione over. "This is wonderful, there's everything we need here!"

And without further ado she slid Jinxes for the Jinxed from its shelf, sank onto the nearest cushion, and began to read.

Iris recognized many of the titles of books Dumbledore had given her to read, but was even more intrigued by the ones she had yet to go through.

There was a gentle knock on the door. Iris looked around; Ginny, Neville, Lavender, Parvati, and Dean had arrived.

"Whoa," said Dean, staring around, impressed. "What is this place?"

Harry began to explain, but before he had finished more people had arrived, and he had to start all over again. By the time eight o'clock arrived, every cushion was occupied. Harry moved across to the door and turned the key protruding from the lock; it clicked in a satisfyingly loud way and everybody fell silent.

"Well," said Harry, slightly nervously. "This is the place we've found for practices, and you've— er— obviously found it okay—"

"Right," said Iris, cutting her floundering brother off, to which he sent her a grateful look, "shall we get practicing then? Harry and I have discussed what to start with and we were thinking, the first thing we should do is Expelliarmus, also known as the Disarming Charm."

Harry nodded, gaining confidence, "I know it's pretty basic but we've found it really useful—"

"Oh please," said Zacharias Smith, rolling his eyes and folding his arms. "I don't think Expelliarmus is exactly going to help us against You-Know-Who, do you?"