A Whole New World

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Iris didn't know what to say as the woman stared her down. Luckily, she didn't have to say anything as instead, Dumbledore spoke.

He walked a step forward beside Iris, staring at the mystery woman with a faint recognition, his guard not fully up, "Audrianna Simmons... to what do we owe the pleasure?"

The woman— Audrianna, smiled tightly as she shifted her glance off of Iris and to Dumbledore, "You remember me— good, it'll make this all much faster."

"Make what faster?" Iris spoke for the first time.

Audrianna's eyes shot back to her, observing Iris closely for a moment, "I have been waiting many years for this moment— when I finally get to tell you all about what you are."

Iris stared, "What I am?"

Dumbledore moved across the room in interest, taking a seat behind his desk as he listened intensely. Noting that he didn't seem to be worried about the stranger before them, Iris slowly crept forward and sat down in a third chair beside the large wooden desk.

Audrianna's eyes glimmered as she readjusted herself, "Surely you've both noticed that you seem to possess qualities unlike those of your peers? Haven't you wondered why?"

Iris exchanged a glance with Dumbledore... the woman was right. More and more frequently in the past year or two, strange occurrences, even for a witch, had been happening to Iris. Memories ran like a moving picture behind her eyes as she remembered all the times unexplainable red sparks had come from her hands; all the times she should have been injured but wasn't.

The red-haired witch smiled tightly, "You're special, Iris Potter. There are rare occurrences every so often when a special type of witch or wizard is born. These people always possess two gifts: one, a unique magical ability, in your case natural legilimency, and two, all of these special witches and wizards have the ability to produce magical shields."

Iris listened with wide eyes, recalling vaguely the few times when a red shield had formed from her.

Audrianna continued, "Those who are born with the gifts all follow a certain set of guidelines— all of them are a set of twins. My sister and I are the current leaders of a group of these particular people that goes back centuries... we're called Shielded. We work to locate new Shielded and then help them— teach them to use their powers."

"Hold on," Iris cut in, confused, running a hand over her face, "If it's always a set of twins then how come Harry doesn't have any of this stuff?"

"In extremely rare cases," the woman said, "only one of the twins is born with the powers of a shielded. It's only happened once before in our history. The simplest explanation I can give is that your brother has his own destiny to follow... the gifts would only hinder him reaching his final goal. You, however, Miss Potter, are destined on a different path." She leaned forward very slightly, saying sincerely, "You are meant to be the best of us."