Off With His Head

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

It took Iris a while to pull herself back together, but she knew she had to stop crying. She had to keep going on, pretending it was okay, pretending like she didn't know someone was going to die. Iris didn't know what to do, but she knew one thing: she couldn't let it happen.

Setting her emotions aside, Iris gathered herself up off the floor and began the trek down to the main entrance of the castle.

She heard her friends before she saw them. Their attempt at arguing quietly was not going too well, and when she rounded the corner that opened up into the courtyard of the castle she wasn't surprised to see them standing just before the entrance.

The three Gryffindors didn't notice Iris as she walked up to them.

As she got closer she heard Harry saying, "It's not my fault we live in a huge castle, how am I supposed to know where she wen--"

"Iris!" Hermione shouted when she saw her best friend arrive next to them.

Hermione practically jumped on her, engulfing Iris in a tight hug before pulling away with a worried look.

"What happened?!"

All three of them stared at her in anticipation, wanting to know what had made her run out like that.

Iris nervously wrung her hands together, the flash of green echoing across her vision once more, "I don't want to talk about it," she whispered.

They reluctantly nodded their heads in understanding, exchanging glances with each other. Iris hated it, the coddling feeling she got whenever something happened to her. She loved her friends and Harry more than anything, but they needed to know that she could take care of herself.

"Are we heading down to Hagrid's now?" Iris asked, wanting to just move on.

The four students quickly made their way through the tunnel bridge that led to the path down to Hagrid's hut.

"I can't believe they're going to kill Buckbeak! It's too horrible." Hermione muttered, upset.

Ron was the first one out of the tunnel, and what he saw spurred his remark, "It just got worse."

Malfoy, along with Crabbe and Goyle, lurked within a grouping of monolithic menhirs, binoculars in hand, spying on Hagrid, who was standing in the pumpkin patch, tossing dead ferrets to Buckbeak. Iris could faintly see from the distance, Hagrid wiping his eyes as he loped into the hut.

"Did you see the big, fat blubbering oaf?! Oh, this is going to be rich. Did I tell you, Father said I can keep the head--" Malfoy prattled on to his minions.

Hermione's thoughts were screaming, and Iris' eyes widened as she muttered to her best friend, "Hermione--" The bushy-haired girl ignored her and started walking towards the Slytherin boys, "Hermione, no-- I really don't think--"