Before the Storm Breaks

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Iris didn't get a chance to bask in her success before her eyes instead rolled back in her head, her vision going out like a light as she toppled toward the floor.

She woke up minutes later in a cold sweat on Alice's bed. The woman and Neville were both leaning over her looking concerned. The boy was glancing at his mother every other second looking like he was scared to be near her. It was strange — this was the first time Iris had ever seen him crying.

What had she done?

Alice gave Iris a relieved smile when she saw her eyes opening, "Are you alright?"

Iris noticed Neville flinch at her unfamiliar voice.

She could only stare at the woman who had been completely vacant the last time their eyes had met. There was life in her brown eyes now — actual emotion.

"I'm..." Iris' words died out as a sudden urge travelled upwards in her stomach and throat.

The brunette lurched forward, sitting up and throwing her legs over the edge of the bed. She looked around anxiously before her eyes settled on a small trash bin sitting on the floor a metre away. Iris shot toward it, her knees meeting the floor as she bent her head down into the empty bin and emptied the contents of her stomach into it.

"Oh my!" Alice said in shock, hurrying over to help the girl.

Iris was feverish and her face was damp with tears and blood from her nose. She looked up at the mother and son who both stared back with worry — Neville more so with fear.

"You can't tell anyone it was me," she begged.

Iris knew, most unquestionably, that she would be hunted to the ends of the Earth for what she could do. The kind of power she could possess at the peak of her ability... It was nearly unheard of. Restoring someone who had been tortured to insanity had never been done before, and it would draw plenty of unwanted attention.

Though she looked plenty confused, Alice nodded.

"Do you remember anything?" Iris asked her quietly, rolling over the side of her legs to sit on the floor. She tried to wipe the blood and tears from her face.

Neville's gaze shot to his mother.

Alice hesitated in thought before she said slowly, "Mostly stuff from before... some things from in here." She turned to look at Neville with tears growing in her eyes, "Every time you came to visit me... I knew." Alice sniffled. "I couldn't do anything, I was my own prisoner, but I wanted so badly to tell you how beautiful you are and how proud I am."

Alice was fully crying now. Neville was too, and Iris watched their first real moments together with something flowering in her chest, and she decided she didn't truly care about the consequences of her actions.