The Great Escape Pt. 2

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

The three had ended up sitting just within the treeline of the Forbidden Forest, bored, watching the entrance to the tunnel under the Whomping Willow as they waited for their past selves to emerge.

They watched as Lupin and Snape both entered a few minutes apart, and then spent the next hour watching Buckbeak frolic around in the trees.

Iris leaned her head back on the tree she was sitting up against, looking upward and seeing the tops of the trees etched against the darkening sky. Bats flew around them, Buckbeak snagging one in his large mouth.

"At least someone's enjoying himself," Hermione commented.

The two siblings and their loyal best friend sat together in the lengthening shadows, their eyes glazing over the blank scene up on the hill in front of them.

"Iris, Hermione..." Harry started.

The pair of girls hummed in unison, "Yes?"

"Before. Down by the lake. When we were with Sirius... I did see someone... that someone made the Dementors go away..."

Iris looked out over the horizon, watching the last bit of sun fade in silence.

"With a Patronus," Hermione said, "I heard Snape telling Dumbledore when we were taken to the hospital. According to him, only a really powerful wizard could have conjured it."

"It was my Dad."

Iris' back straightened as she turned to Harry in shock.

"It was our Dad who conjured the Patronus," he continued.

"Harry," Iris hesitated, "Dad's --"

"Dead. I know," he snapped at her. "I'm just telling you what I saw."

Hermione nodded, sharing a glance with Iris, neither girl wanting to press Harry further. The Potter girl glanced beyond the trees, toward the Whomping Willow releasing a deep sigh quietly.

"Here we come," Hermione said lowly from beside her.

The three stood sharply, ready to move.

Iris watched them all exit, studying herself and Sirius as they spoke solemnly.

"Harry... there's something you should know --"

A sudden howl pierced the night, cutting her off. Their faces all dropped, the light of the full moon illuminating the fear expressed across them.

They watched in mild fascination as their past selves screamed, Sirius and Remus both fighting one another in animal forms.

Iris observed herself running after Sirius and the Professor just before a voice spoke from beside her,