A Telltale Birthday

I thought I should make a quick a/n about the recent J.K Rowling ickiness. I want to make it extremely clear that I DO NOT support her or her views, most especially when it comes to transgender and non-binary people. It absolutely breaks my heart to see her treat people so horribly for simply being themselves.

With that being said, I have decided to continue with this story only because Harry Potter has become such a massive part of my life and I love it and my OCs too much to part with them.

To anyone and everyone who identifies as transgender or non-binary, YOU ARE VALID.

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

In the Great Hall of Hogwarts, multicoloured lights flickered across the stone walls, no sounds echoing throughout the room beside the loud crackling of active spells being fired. The sole two people standing within the four walls were the source of this magic, and though they each aimed at the other, no intentions were harmful.

It was nearing the end of July, and as the last few days of the month ticked away, two of the only Summer inhabitants of the large castle whiled away the time the same as they had been doing every day since Iris Potter had arrived. The younger girl and her newly coined mentor, Dumbledore, worked day-in and day-out to heighten her skills. The elder wizard would admit that he was surprised at the progress she was making. It was as if a spark had lit within her and the young Potter couldn't sit still, she could only absorb all the new information given to her.

Iris enjoyed attending Order of the Phoenix meetings– it made her feel like she was doing something useful. On top of that, she liked spending the limited time she had at meetings with Sirius. The only person who threw fits every time she came was Mrs Weasley, but Sirius always fought her back in Iris' favour. It wasn't that Iris minded Mrs Weasley, as she knew the woman was only doing it because she cared, but Iris was glad Sirius could see that she wasn't helpless.

Besides training with Dumbledore and Order meetings, Iris didn't do much. She managed to keep herself busy at all times of the day, though, doing even the most mundane tasks to keep herself occupied for she knew that if she let herself have time to think, all of her emotions would come crashing down once more. Instead, she bottled it up to focus on the tasks ahead of her, such as helping form plans to keep the prophecy safe and learning as much from Dumbledore as she could in the short time they had before school would resume.

In the midst of her stifled loneliness, every few days, either Kai or Khalee would come by Hogwarts and keep her company. Iris thought that perhaps they could tell she was avoiding thinking about any of her current problems. She didn't mind their presence though, as they didn't press her or deter her from whatever she was doing at that moment. They often would teach her Shielded history, mixing in the occasional lesson here and there.

They hadn't visited in a few days so Iris kept busy with Dumbledore. The mentor and mentee were launching nonverbal spells back and forth at each other in the wide-open Great Hall. The Headmaster had made all of the house tables vanish with a simple flick of his wand. Throughout their time training, Iris had begun to pick up speed as she had gotten smarter with her fighting. Dumbledore continuously matched her pace everytime they practice duelled, and though she sped up each time, Iris knew that they were no where near his normal calibre.