Words You Can't Take Back

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"Hey... hey, Iris, wake up."

She groaned, pain radiating from her neck as she turned it out of its uncomfortable position. Iris opened her eyes, squinting in confusion for a moment as this was not her dormitory before she remembered what had happened the previous night.

Iris remembered walking out of the Gryffindor common room with no real destination in mind, her feet wandering the corridors while her mind was clouded. The young girl had found herself entering the Hogwarts library, a usual refuge for solitude for her. She had never been in the book-filled room that late at night but felt oddly at peace in the quiet that made her ears hum. Iris fell asleep at a table in the back corner of the library, tucked away in her own little haven.

Now being awoken, she could see golden light piercing through the room from the rising sun, illuminating her surroundings.

"Kai?" Iris asked, rubbing her eyes as she stifled a yawn, wondering how she could still be tired after a full night of sleep. "What are you doing here?"

The familiar boy gave her a smile that hid pity, leaning against the table, "Waking you up, clearly. Wouldn't want you to miss your first day of classes."

Iris blinked quickly, a jolt going through her as she asked hastily, "What time is it?!"

Kai chuckled, "Don't worry, it's only breakfast."

She let out a sigh of relief, her dishevelled brunette hair looking a bit like a bird may have landed in it. Iris placed her face in her hands for a moment, already not looking forward to the day ahead of her. When she looked up at Kai, their eyes locked for just a second as the boy's hand reached out, tucking Iris' tousled hair behind her ear. They both froze at the contact before Kai retracted his hand quickly.

"Sorry... you might want to comb that... your room should be empty now, everyone's eating."

Iris' hazel eyes peered into him, "Right. I should go change."

Neither one of them moved for a second before Iris stood sharply. She hesitated before asking, "Do you need to leave or can you walk me back?"

Kai stood from sitting on the edge of the table, saying simply, "I'm all yours."

The two teens left the library, taking the lesser travelled corridors back to the Gryffindor common room to avoid being seen.

As they came upon the Fat Lady's portrait Kai said to Iris, "Don't go getting into trouble, okay? Now that you're back here..." He paused, looking uncharacteristically serious, "not everyone at Hogwarts is friendly."

Iris' heart beat out of rhythm, her face dropping to a frown. She knew he was right; there were enemies within the walls of Hogwarts once more, only this time they weren't hiding behind polyjuice potion.