Patronus Lessons

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

The boys were angry.

Harry knew that Hermione had meant well, but that didn't stop him from being exceptionally cross with her. He had been the owner of the best broom in the world for a few short hours, and now, because of her interference, he didn't know whether he would ever see it again. He was positive that there was nothing wrong with the Firebolt now, but what sort of state would it be in once it had been subjected to all sorts of anti-jinx tests?

Ron was furious with Hermione too. As far as he was concerned, the stripping-down of a brand-new Fireboat was nothing less than criminal damage.

Iris was split in the middle of both sides. While she agreed that there was a definite possibility of Harry's broom being from Sirius Black, she didn't think it was jinxed.

Hermione, who remained convinced that she had acted for the best, started avoiding the common room. Iris tried her best to spend time with both sides, though mostly hanging out with Hermione and consoling her as she cried late at night. 

Harry and Ron supposed Hermione had taken refuge in the library and didn't try to persuade her to come back. All in all, they were glad when the rest of the school returned shortly after New Year, and Gryffindor Tower became crowded and noisy again.

Butterflies fluttered over the great green lawn. The giant squid was breaking through the last glaze of ice on the Black Lake, and the Whomping Willow had shaken the water from its branches. Winter was slowing down now as Spring neared.

Soon after classes resumed, Iris and Harry had their first lesson with Professor Lupin. At eight o'clock on a Thursday evening, Iris and Harry left Gryffindor Tower for the Professor's office.

The dying sun streamed through high windows, painting Harry and Iris' faces a fierce amber-red as they stood opposite Lupin. Ancient charts drape the walls while gleaming spheres of spun glass orbit one another silently. Professor Lupin paced before a large trunk.

"Now, you two are sure about this? This is very advanced magic. Well beyond the Ordinary Wizarding Level," their teacher stressed.

Iris and Harry exchanged a look before Harry spoke, "We're sure, we need to learn how to fight the Dementors."

Lupin studied the twins for a moment as if conflicted, then decided, "Very well. Now the spell I'm going to try to teach you is called the Patronus Charm. Ever hear of it?"

Harry shook his head no while Iris nodded eagerly. She had read about this spell, it was very difficult to achieve, and it would be especially more difficult for someone their age.

Professor Lupin continued, "A Patronus is a kind of positive force. For the witch or wizard who can conjure one, the Patronus works something like a shield. The Dementor feeds on it instead of them."