39

"Hold your hand out, palm up." Alex instructed her brother and Charlie did as she said. She softly tugged Kichiro towards him. "It's okay, Kichi, he's my brother. He's okay." She led Kichiro towards Charlie, letting the unicorn sniff at his hand and familiarise himself with the dragon tamer.

Soon Kichiro was nuzzling Charlie's hand and he let out a surprised laugh. "This is... amazing." Kichiro turned back to Alex and moved closer to her. "How did you meet him?"

"Uh, long story." Alex shrugged. Saphira huffed in amusement, resting her head on top of Alex's. "Yeah, love you too, Saph."

Alex looked up at a flash of light and saw Charlie with a camera. "Sorry, I just wanted to know this was actually happening."

"Can I get a copy?" He smiled.

"Yeah, of course. I'll develop it first." He said. "And I had a reason to come over. It's time to feed Saphira."

"Oh, alright." Alex said, and the dragon stood up with a roar. "I'll see you later, Saph."

Goodbye. Saphira watched as Alex led Kichiro away from the dragon camp.

They continued walking a little longer, towards the edge of the forest so Kichiro could get some water. Alex took the moment to sit down and relax. Kichiro trotted over to her after he had his fill and laid down beside her, his head on her lap.
"It's just you and me Kich, we can stay here as long as you want."

Alex made sure to spend time solely with Kichiro every once in a while, sometimes taking him to go see Saphira, sometimes going for just a walk.

The Yule ball arrived soon enough. Laila cornered Alex the day before and handed her a garment bag. Alex peeked before glaring at Laila.
"Do I have to?" She asked. "It's so... much. Is this really the least extravagant thing you own?"

"No, and I never said it was. Relax, Weasley. It's just a loan." Laila said. "And yes, you have to."

"How many times are you going to blackmail me?"

"As many times as it takes. Face it, Weasley. There's no small town life for you. You're my protégée, now."

"No deal. This is the last time or I'm digging up something on you." Laila frowned.

"That a threat?"

"What can I say, I'm feeling Slytherin."

"I'm only trying to help you."

"I'm not a charity case or a project." Laila rolled her eyes.

"You're too stubborn to be my project, and you're not a charity case. You're my friend, therefore there's a certain standard to be met."

"Laila."

"Okay, I won't use the areas against you after this, but I'm sure I can find something else." Alex whipped out her wand pointing it at Laila.

"You better leave Kichiro and Venus out of all this." Laila rolled her eyes.

"I'm not an idiot. There's a line I won't cross." Alex lowered her wand slowly. "Enjoy the ball. I'll see you there."

"See you." Alex smiled. "And I know in your own way you think you're looking out for me, so thanks for that."

"Anytime."

"No, never again. Please." Laila just smirked knowingly and Alex walked away.

She hung the dress on the back of their room door, after she reached the dorms. Charlie stood up. "Is that your dress for tomorrow?"

"Don't you have a dorm room of your own?"

"Yeah, but they're not as fun as you guys. They're..." Charlie trailed off.

"They must be really dull if you're willing to put up with Alex instead of suffering their presence." Megan smiled sweetly.

"Shut up." Alex muttered, going on her bed. "You know, house elves never got round to removing Emiko's bed, so you can stay over if you want."

"See, she can be nice and sincere." Charlie turned to Megan, sticking out her tongue.

"Offer rescinded." Alex said, heading to her bed, and taking out her book. She'd reached the muggle sciences section of the library and was reading a biology book.

"Now I'm offering." Megan jumped on the edge of Alex's bed.

"You have five seconds before I kick you off." Megan rolled off and sat on her own.

"What's got you so sour?"

"Nothing." Alex muttered.

Five minutes later, Alex set down her book with a huff. "Harry asked Cho to be his date to the ball."

"So? Is she not allowed to have a date at all or something?" Megan teased.

"It's not that. She turned him down and told him she already had a date. When he asked who, she said she was going with Cedric."

"Oh." Charlie's eyes widened.

"Didn't Cedric ask you?" Hannah asked.

"Yeah. He did. So she's obviously lying."

"Maybe she just didn't want to go with Harry? And that was her way of letting him down."

"If she's lying then she doesn't have a date. So why wouldn't she go with Harry? Or why pick Cedric of all people? What if she thinks she's actually going with Cedric?"

"Why would she think that?" Susan humoured and Alex shrugged.

"I don't know."

"When was the last time Cedric even spoke to her? There's no quidditch this year, and they're in separate houses, separate years." Charlie said, comfortingly. "She was probably just trying to let Harry down gently."

"Probably." Alex conceded. "Something's a bit fishy about it though."

"You just hate her because Lee Jordan made everyone, including you, think the two liked each other once upon a time." Alex threw a pillow at Megan who smiled fakely at her in reply.