47

Alex woke up with a gasp after breaking the water, and noticed she was held tightly in Cedric's grasp.
"You alright?" He asked and she nodded.

"Fine, you?"

"Yeah." He said, loosening his hold on her so that they could climb back up onto the bank.

"Nice swim?" She asked as he put his arm around her.

"I think I prefer not being attacked by grindylows."

"We, I mean you, prepared for that, because I wasn't involved whatsoever." She looked around to make sure she wasn't overheard and he broke into a wry grin, moving a lock of hair out of her face. Their moment was interrupted by Madam Pomfrey who hurriedly bundled each of them in blankets.

"Come, away from the water." She insisted, and gave them both a vial of pepperup. They drank it, their faces going red as steam blew out of their ears. Madam Pomfrey hurried away as the next champion arrived.

"I'm what you'd sorely miss, huh?" She bit her lip trying to hide her smirk. "When did you figure it out or were you surprised to see me down there?"

"I'm not totally useless without you. I saw you weren't out there, and I knew you wouldn't miss this."

"No, I wouldn't." She huddled closer to him and he opened his arms, unfolding his blanket, and circled his arms around her, so that his blanket was wrapped around them both. "Thanks for saving me down there."

"We both know if you were conscious, you'd have had the merfolk teaching you mermish."

"Alex!" Hermione and Viktor stood next to them, swathed in each of their blankets. She sent them an unimpressed look. "That's not a practical use of the blankets."

"Yes it is. We're sharing body heat." Alex stuck out her tongue. "You should try it, it's very comfortable."

"Harry not back yet?" Hermione asked.

"Nope." Alex sounded delighted.

"Don't sound so happy. That's your brother underwater."

"D'you think I can cut a deal with the mer? Let them keep him forever?"

"Alex!"

"Over three years, we've known each other now." Alex told Viktor. "You'd think she'd get my jokes by now."

Snape seemed more and more on edge as days went by. Alex went to go see him. She set the box Blaise and Draco had given her in front of him.
"What's this?" He asked.

"Can you check it for magic? Hexes, curses, hell even charms?"

"Why?"

"Draco and Blaise gave it to me. And considering who Draco's parents are and how much of a thorn I've been to Lucius, I think better safe than sorry." Before he could reply, she started speaking. "Don't lecture me. Believe me, whatever you have to say I've thought. Especially with me being me, it's trouble. But there's no right response. If I didn't accept it, then I'd be bringing Draco trouble. If I did, I'd be opening the Malfoy family to higher status with him and he might be used in the future. It was an impossible choice but I'd rather declare Draco an ally than an enemy."

"There's no wrong answer, just as there's no right." He said wisely.

"Can you check it over for hexes?" She asked.

"Why don't you give it a try?"

"You know the Malfoys. You know how they work. You're better adept at figuring out if there's any tampering." He raised his wands and incanted.

"It's clear." He eventually said. "No hexes, no curses, no surveillance magic."

"Thanks." She said. She took a seat in front of him. "You're left handed."

"Astute observation."

"You just used your wand with your right hand."

"The powers that be could never hope to match your level of cognisance." He drawled sarcastically.

"Why aren't you using your left arm?"

"A wizard's skill isn't measured by his, or her, ability to cast spells, but by their ability to adapt."

"So nothing to do with Karkaroff's arm pain. Curiously, he's also hurt on his left forearm. Remind me where your mark is?"

"Alex."

"It's clearing, isn't it? He's close to coming back. Like actually coming back." Snape nodded grudgingly. "How long?"

"Some months now."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"I think it's best if you sit this one out." He told her and changed the subject. "The potion you made for Diggory- lifeguard, correct?"

"Yes."

"I don't even have some of the ingredients in my stores. Where did you get it?"

"The forest is bountiful." He sent her an exasperated look.

"The forest is dangerous if you don't keep to your unicorn-protected path."

"I found other safe areas." Snape looked exasperated.

"Like Gryffindor's grove?"

"Oh, no. What I needed was more local."

"I'm almost afraid to ask, but how much more of the forest have you discovered?"

"Quite a lot. There are a few dryads and gremlins who are nice. I avoid the acromantula lair and the centaurs, though I do bump into Magorian occasionally. The fairies are helpful when it gets dark, and did you know the black lake narrows into a river and then eventually leads out to a waterfall. Or I guess technically the waterfall leads out to the lake, whatever. They're connected. I wouldn't recommend going out alone unless you know where you're going though."

"Are you adding adventurer to your list of accomplishments?"

"I was born curious. I like discovering things." She justified. "How's Sal?"

"Fine. We mounted him up in the Slytherin common room."

"That's good. After a millennium alone, he deserves company."

"Is there a message you'd like me to pass on to him?" Alex shook her head.

"No, it's okay."