chapter sixteen

I entered the Chief's office. He was sitting at his desk with his head down doing paperwork. I walked forward and stood a few centimetres from his desk.

"Chief" I spoke and he popped his head up

"What can I help you with Dr Grey?" he asked

"I- I uh" I stuttered "I uh was um wondering why I am on Mark's service when I want to study neuro under Dr Shepherd for my fellowship" My heart was beating faster then it had ever been. The Chief stood up from his desk and began walking over to me.

"I'm afraid I cannot help you with that" He spoke

"Why?" I asked "This will affect my study and what I want to do as an attending. I have no interest in plastics and do not want my career to head that way. I need to study under Dr-" Then I was cut off from my ramble

"Dr Grey, I cannot help you because I am not the one who made the request?"

I began to get confused "what?" I asked

"I did not want to keep you on Dr Sloan's service. Dr Sloan made that request himself"

I bit my lip extremely confused "What do you mean?"

"I mean that when you were able to work again Dr Sloan made the request that we keep you on his service?"

My face changed from confused to anger

"He wanted to make sure you were safe by keeping an eye on you all the time" Chief added

I was outraged. Not only at the Chief because he agreed to it but I was mostly outraged and disgusted by Mark. He lied to me and put the future of my career on the line. After I processed the information the Chief gave me I stormed out of his office running around like a mad woman to find Mark. I ran around the hospital for a long time getting confused and concerned looks from the hospital staff but I didn't care. I needed to find Mark and confront him. This wasn't okay. I would have never done this to him. I am sick of being babied. I am not broken I am healthy and can take care of myself.

I found Mark standing at a nurses station checking charts. When I approached him I slammed the charting book closed and faced him. Anger plastered across my face. Mark looked confused and concerned.

"Lex, are you alright?" he asked

"Don't Lex me" I snapped "Did you or did you not make a deal with the Chief to keep me on your service to keep an eye on me?" I asked

"Lex I-" he started before I cut him off

"It's a one word answer Mark" I was not furious and impatient

"Yes" he confessed and I felt my heart shatter a tiny bit

"So you lied to me and put the future of my career at risk"

"Lex hang -"

I shook my head "No Mark, you do not get to call me Lex and you do not get to explain yourself"

"I wanted to study under Derek because I love neuro. I hate plastics and I hate how protective you are. I am not a baby. I am not broken and I am not some little girl you can make decisions for."

"I did it to make sure you were-" he started

"safe" I finished "yeah I got that, I just didn't get the memo that you would try to ruin my career. what if I hadn't confronted you or the Chief and It was too late. Huh?"

Mark was speechless. His eyes showed sorrow. He had nothing to say back. I stood there for a few minutes and nothing came out of his mouth.

"I don't think I will be coming home tonight, don't look for me I can take care of myself" as I finished I walked off to where? I don't know. I know I should not have been that harsh but my career was on the line and I don't need forty something year old men telling me what I should and shouldn't do. I am twenty eight and can make those choices on my own.