chapter twenty

The next morning I woke up still in Marks arms. He was awake stroking my hair and face.

"How long have you been awake for?" I asked yawning

"Not long" he replied "you're so beautiful when you sleep" he added stroking my forehead and moving his hand down to my chin. He lifted my chin and pushed my lips to his. The kiss was short, soft and sweet. We didn't break apart for a while and I didn't want too. I rolled on top of Mark, our lips still connected.

We slowed down slowly and soon came to a stop, we pulled apart and I laid my head on Marks chest hearing his heart beat. He continued to stroke my hair, then my forehead and all the way down the back of my neck.

We stayed together for a while, just taking in the calmness. I was about to fall back asleep when I heard the door creek open and three little feet running in.

"Wake up daddy" Sofia called whilst climbing on the bed with Zola and Harriet.

I rolled over out of Marks embrace and I could see Marks face turn sad but that only lasted a second because all of the three girls began jumping on the bed and Mark and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Who let you in?" Mark asked whilst pulling Sofia into a cuddle

"My dad, Uncle Alex and Uncle Jackson" Zola said continuing to jump with Harriet.

"Come on please get up Aunty Lex and Uncle Mark" Harriet spoke tugging at my arm with Zola.

I smiled "fine girls" and I got up carrying both of them in my arms whilst Mark carried Sofia. As we exited his room Mark whispered to me "those guys are going to pay"

I giggled in reply and headed out.

"Sleeping beauty is finally awake" Derek commented as Mark and I headed to the kitchen after letting the girls go

"Shut up" he replied clearly annoyed taking a seat at the bar stool

"Oh come on it wasn't so bad" I added standing behind him  and wrapping my arms around him. "The girls are cute and didn't mean any harm" I assured him rubbing him

"I know they didn't but Derek did"

"Stop being butt hurt Mark" Derek added sliding a cup of coffee to him

"You'll pay" Mark replied taking a sip of his coffee

I shook my head and let Mark and Derek fight like brothers. Alex and Jackson were talking about the current surgical cases they were on.

I got myself a cup of coffee and brought the girls breakfast. Us girls all sat together I listened to them babble and talk nonsense to me and with each other. It was so funny. I loved how close the girls were in age they all got along so well and there were hardly ever any fights. I just smiled and looked at them for a long time imagining what my life would be like when I finally decide to have kids. Would they be as close with the other girls or even with each other as siblings. Who knows.

Halfway through the girls' breakfast the rest of the group came through the door. All the girls from last night.

"Ditch us much Lexie" Cristina said as she walked to the kitchen filling up multiple cups of coffee

"I only ditched you girls because you were all going to bed so I didn't miss out on much" I stated cleaning up the girls' bowls and packing them into the dishwasher.

"I'm kidding Lex, I would have done the same if my boyfriend lived next door".

I didn't reply. Instead I watched as Callie, Arizona, Meredith, and April collected their girls from the table. I then proceeded to wipe it down followed by the kitchen bench.

Mark was still sitting at the counter this time he was completely turned around so his back was leaning against the counter and his torso was facing the living room.

"What's your plans for today?" I asked walking toward his side

He didn't make eye contact with me he was staring at Sofia "uh I think I have a surgery or two for today."

"Easy day" I replied

For a moment there was silence I wanted to ask Derek if I could scrub in on once of his surgeries today but I knew that wouldn't happen considering I had consumed alcohol last night.

The morning went by slowly, everyone except Zola left at 9 even Mark left to go to work. Today I was spending the whole day with just Zola like I promised yesterday.

We started the day going to her favourite park in Seattle, the park down the street from her house. I helped her climb the equipment and even build a sand castle in the sand pit. We then stopped for ice cream as a treat and we then drove home (Merediths house) I read her a story and put her down for a nap.

Whilst she was napping I decided to give Mark a call. He was on his lunch break and we talked for the full hour until Zola woke up. Once she woke up, she had lunch and we played in the backyard for a bit then came inside and played with some toys.

It was around 5:30pm when Derek and Meredith came home (Meredith was out running errands all day). Zola greeted them and helped Derek cook dinner. We sat down as a family and ate dinner. The night finished after we watched a movie together and went to bed.