chapter twelve

The doorbell finally rang.

I jolted up from the couch almost falling over but Mark held onto me. We walked over to the door and Mark opened it. April, Jackson, Harriet, Arizona, Callie, and Sofia were all at the door.

I smiled bigger than I had ever and ran into April's arms. Grabbing Arizona and Callie to join in. Tears filled my eyes and started dripping down, they weren't sad tears, they were happy tears. I let go of the girls and moved to hug Jackson who was holding Harriet in his arms. I smiled at Harriet and played with her for a bit talking to Jackson until we joined the others in the living room.

Mark was holding Sofia on his waist and I went up and hugged her. She pulled out her arms for me to hold her. I looked at her sadly wanting to hold her but I couldn't because I was still recovering.

The doorbell rang again and Arizona helped me answer it. The rest of the group showed up: Meredith, Derek, Zola, Cristina, Owen, Miranda, Richard, Alex, and a girl named Jo who I had never met. She was a new intern at the hospital and girlfriend to Alex. I greeted them all with hugs and we moved to the living room.

We shared laughs, and stories. I was sitting on one of the couches watching everyone talk and smile. I had missed this, I had missed these people. I wanted nothing more than to go back to work and see these people everyday but I couldn't. I was still broken.

Time went by fast and the gathering was coming to an end. My heart broken as each family announced their departure. The last to leave was April, Jackson, and Harriet. As Jackson was saying goodbye to Mark, April pulled me aside to speak to me.

"I know what has happened to you Lexie, and I want you to know I am here for you" she spoke giving me a hug

"Thanks April" I smiled and squeezed her tight.

"I miss you a lot at the hospital, we all do. It's just not the same"

"I miss it too and I miss all of you guys" I started to tear up again

April and I hugged one last time before she helped me walk back to Mark and Jackson at the door. I kissed Harriet on the forehead, hugged Jackson and watched as they left the apartment.

That's when I broke down into tears. I just cried and cried and cried. Mark pulled me into his arms squeezing me tight.

"I miss work. I miss seeing those people everyday" I confessed

"I know Lex" he whispered and kissed my hair

"I love them so much" I sobbed harder

I cried until there was no more tears to come out. My eyes were all puffy and I was emotionally numb. I cried to much that I couldn't feel anymore pain.

Mark got me ready for bed and climbed into bed next to me. I lied still staring at the ceiling. So many things crossed my mind but I couldn't deal with them. Mark tried to cuddle me but I didn't move. I think he said goodnight, I couldn't hear anything.

I just stared at the dark ceiling. Numb to any emotion I had.