Chapter Twenty-Two: The Return

2 days later.

Perran brewed chamomile tea, pouring it onto her mug, and set herself on the front porch. It was Sunday today and Ozge is in Italy with Can. Perran thought she could use some time by herself, a little me time.

The breeze was met with the hot air but was still refreshing. She listened to the leaves and trees sing with the wind as she drank her tea. Nothing beats living in the suburbs in Istanbul in this time of day. It was 12 o'clock PM, and everyone was in the farm.

Perran enjoyed the silence for a little while when the doorbell rang. She wondered who it would be visiting her on a Saturday noon. Evren was with her cousins and Devrim was with his family. She put her tea cup down, straightening her dress. She reached the front door after a few steps, and turned the knob. Her heart almost stopped when she saw who it was.

"Guldem Bahadir," Perran said.

"Perran Gurel," Guldem smiled, then she took off her sunglasses. "I now go with Guldem Yaman, Can Yaman's mother."

"Wha-what?" Perran said, not believing what she just heard.

***

"Can's birthday is tomorrow."

Gulten said as they put their bags of the clothes they bought in her car. They both went inside, then Gulten turned the car on and drove.

"I'm sure Aunt Guldem will be throwing a grand party again. Probably next week since we're in Italy," Gulten laughed. "Have you met her?"

"Yeah, I did, although she doesn't like me," Ozge said.

"Nah, don't worry about it too much. I guess it's just her being a protective mom," Gulten said, her eyes focused on the road.

"I hope so," Ozge said, looking outside.

"So, what present will you give Can?" Gulten beamed.

"I'm still thinking about it," Ozge grinned. "What can I even give the guy who has everything?"

Gulten laughed. "You'll figure it out."

Ozge smiled, looking outside, observing how maginificent Rome was. It was her first time coming here. Can said he'd been here several times.

So, I guess he'd been here with Demet too? It must have been nice. I guess she was the first girl Can took to Italy. Three years ago, if Demet hadn't passed away, maybe Can and I would have never met... maybe he'd be married to Demet by now... It makes me think I'm jut a second choice.

She shook her head, trying to get the thought out of her mind.

Come on, Ozge, don't think like that. But... isn't that true? If Demet hadn't died, Can would have never loved me. Maybe we would have met at the airport, but he wouldn't even bat an eye. He would have been with her too. Happily married.

Ozge felt the tears welling up and she immediately wiped them off before Gulten could see. She didn't wanna think about that probability. But it was true, wasn't it? If Demet was still alive, Can would never be with her.

He would never love her.

Gulten noticed Ozge's sullen expression.

"Ozge, are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah," Ozge cleared her throat. "Gulten, what was Demet like?"

"Why do you ask?" Gulten said, focusing her eyes on the road.

"I was just curious. I mean, she was a big part of Can's life, you know," Ozge said, trying to hide the pain in her voice.

"Demet was a good person. She was kind, patient, nice. Her father, Etemad Ozdemir and her mother, Beyza Ozdemir, are the CEOs of Ozdemir Corporation. They met at the founding anniversary of Yaman Holdings ten years ago since Guldem was business partners with the Ozdemirs," Gulten said. "Demet was the kind of girl that Can had always dreamed of. That's why I always thought they weren't compatible."