Chapter Forty-One: The Runaway Bride

Sunday. 10:00 PM.

Ozge watched the lights of downtown Rome as she stood in their balcony, feeling the wind through her hair. Tomorrow is their wedding day. But also the day everything will fall apart.

Can's life is in your hands.

She couldn't get Diletta's words out of her head. She remembered everything she and Can did together as a tear fell down her cheek. Tomorrow, she was going to break Can.

"If you're looking for fireflies, it looks like they're not here tonight," Can said, coming from the living room to the balcony.

"What about you? What are you doing here?" Ozge smiled.

"I wanted to look for them too," Can said as he walked towards Ozge. "My uncle said there are a lot of fireflies here. But we've been here for weeks now, I still haven't seen one."

"It's been raining these past few days," Ozge said. "They said it's hard to find them if it's raining."

Can smiled and held Ozge close to him, she closed her eyes at his touch. They both looked up and noticed the star shining brighter than any other star in the sky.

"My star still shines in Italy," Ozge said. "Fireflies and stars are alike in some way, aren't they? They both have light."

"That star is the symbol of my love for you, Ozge," Can said. "It will always follow you. Wherever you go, you will always feel my love."

Ozge's smile faded as she remembered tomorrow.

"But stars die, Can," Ozge said. "If my star dies, will your love for me die too?"

Can held her face, leaning closer.

"That's the only difference between my love and that star, Ozge," Can said. "My love for you will never burn out. It will always be here. Forever."

Ozge smiled and hugged him, tears streaming down her face. Can looked at the sky once more, then a falling star appeared. They both beamed as they saw it.

"Do you have a wish?" Ozge said, looking at Can.

"No. Not a wish," Can said. "I wanna thank the heavens above for giving me you. I wanna thank God for writing our story so beautifully, there is not one detail missed, that our paths always lead to each other. I wanna thank Him for fulfilling every dream I dreamt in this life. I wanna thank Him that I found my space in this world above. Thank Him for giving me somebody who loves me, and the chance I get to love her too."

Ozge stared at him as the tears fell from her eyes. Can wiped them gently.

"What about you? What's your wish?" Can smiled.

"Actually, I do have one last wish," Ozge said, putting her arms around Can's neck.

"What is it?"

"All I want is for everyone to be happy and safe," Ozge sobbed. 

Can chuckled as he turned her around and kissed the back of her head.

"You know everyone tells me I have a big heart," Can said. "But the truth is, no one's heart is bigger than yours, Ozge. From Istanbul to Italy, your love always follows the people you love. It follows me too. That's one of the things I love about you, Ozge. You always think about other people before yourself. You're selfless. I already gave you your star, but you still fulfill other people's wishes. You're different."

Ozge laughed, wiping her tears.

"They say it's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding," Ozge chuckled. "Maybe it's not such a good idea for you to see me right now."