Chapter Sixty-Three: Fully Healed

[Serkan giving Hande a ride home, five years ago] - The heart remembers what the mind forgets

"Serkan, how are you, my dude?"

Can said as he sat down on the chair beside the hospital bed.

Serkan managed to smile despite the soreness all over his body, turning his head to the left to face Can.

"Never better, Can," he chuckled. "How's Efe? I heard he got shot."

"He's fine now, sleeping soundly. Thank goodness the bullet didn't go through his heart," Can said. "I don't know what I would have done. I would never forgive myself if something happened to him."

"Can, none of this was your fault," Serkan said. "Who knew that Italian was Diletta's brother? I wouldn't have guessed."

"I knew, Serkan," Can said softly. "I had Timoteo investigated for weeks now. He's Diletta's half-brother. His mother died due to an illness when he was eighteen. Their father never wanted him but Diletta loved him. She took care of him and paid for his schooling, she was his only family. I get why he's angry but... "

"Diletta wasn't good. Maybe she was good to him but she was evil to everyone else," Serkan said. "And I can't believe he accused you for killing Diletta."

"I guess he thinks I had Diletta killed. But he's wrong. She was killed when she tried to kill Yildirim. Diletta dug her own grave," Can said. "As for Timoteo, he was talking about a case I had filed against him. He wants me to drop it."

"Case? What case?"

"Turns out he was smuggling illegal firearms and shipping them out to members of the mafia," Can said, taking out the pictures he had taken with Timoteo and his men shipping out firearms and gave them to Serkan. "I have all the proof. Plus..."

"Timoteo got close to me to get close to Can," Ozge said, suddenly appearing behind them. She sat down beside Can. "I was just a murder plot for him."

"He fell in love with you, Ozge," Can said, holding her hand. "But it wasn't enough to fan out the fire of revenge in his heart. He got burned by it."

"Man," Serkan sighed. "I can't believe everything that's happened. It's like a dream. Or a nightmare, I guess."

"You and me both, Serkan," Can said.

Just then, the door opened and revealed Hande. She smiled as she went inside, holding a bowl of porridge. Ozge gave Can a look, telling him to leave Serkan and Hande alone. Can laughed a little as he and Ozge got up and left the room.

Serkan smiled as Hande sat down before him, spoon-feeding him the porridge.

"What are you staring at?" Hande asked, smiling.

"You're so beautiful," Serkan said.

"Did you hit your head that badly, Mr. Serkan?" Hande laughed.

Serkan laughed and held Hande's face with his good hand.

"I never thought I'd get to do this again. To hold your face and have you this close again," Serkan said, circling this thumb on Hande's cheeks. "I thought I'd lose you forever."

"You will never lose me, Serkan. Nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will ever separate the two of us," Hande said softly. "You're mine and I'm yours. Anything else is unthinkable."

"I love you," Serkan whispered.

"I love you."

Hande leaned to kiss him, the kind of kiss that made the five years of being apart non-existent. Despite the wounds in his body, Serkan was fully healed.

***

"What a night, huh?"

Ozge said as she and Can walked in the streets of Rome, outside the hospital.

It was now five in the morning, and the wind was cool in their skin, making Ozge shiver. Can noticed her shudder and took off his jacket and put it over her.

"Can," Ozge said.

"Yeah?"

"Is this just for tonight? Are you only good to me tonight and then treat me like nothing again in the morning?" Ozge said, tears welling in her eyes.

Can smiled and held her hand, kissing it.

"I'm tired of being angry, Ozge. I'm tired of being mad at you. I'm tired of dwelling in the pain of the past. What matters is now," he said, kissing her forehead. "What matters is you. And us. You're my life now, Ozge. You're my good angel, the only good in a bad situation. The bond forged between us is not one that could be broken by absence, distance, or time. And no matter how much more special or beautiful or brilliant or perfect than me you might be, you are as irreversibly altered as I am. As I would always belong to you, so would you always be mine. I love you."

"I love you," Ozge said, closing the gap between them.

Can felt whole, as if there was never a gaping hole in his chest in the first place. He understood it now. Why he was so angry... It was because Ozge had not been with him. It altered his whole being, her presence was needed. It was more than enough to ease the anger and throw it away completely. In the end, their love was their only redeeming quality.

***

"Look out, Rome. Yaren Gurel is here to conquer you."

Yaren Gurel, Ozge's younger sister, said.

She had just arrived in Rome, a place she had been dreading to be in for the past few years. She took out her phone and called a friend she was meeting in the city.

"I just arrived," Yaren grinned. "Where can we meet? Ozge can't know yet.... Alright... I'm excited to work for you. Alright, see you later, Timoteo."

A/N:

CAN WE REACH 10 COMMENTS EVERY CHAPTER, LOVES? :))

SO MANY THINGS HAPPENING! And what will Yaren's role be in this chapter of their lives? Stay tuned!