Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Proposal

"You're gonna be fine, Evren."

Evren whispered to herself as she looked at herself in the mirror. She chose a white dress, plain but elegant. She was nervous of meeting Devrim's grandmother and well, for her date with Devrim later. It all happened so fast.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

"Yes?" Evren said.

"Miss Evren, Sir Devrim is here to see you," one of the maids said.

Evren quickly stopped what she was doing and opened the door, seeing Devrim in a white dress shirt, skinny black trousers, and black oxford shoes. Devrim smiled as he looked at her.

"You're so beautiful," Devrim said.

"Thank you," Evren said.

"Shall we?" Devrim held out his arm.

Evren laced her hand through Devrim's arm as the walked to the dining room together. Zaira Akdeniz, Devrim's grandmother looked up at them, stood up and smiled.

"Good morning, Devrim and Evren," Zaira said. "Evren, it's so nice to meet you. You are the first girl Devrim has introduced to us."

"It's so nice to meet you too, Mrs. Akdeniz," Evren said.

"Grandma, is Uncle Mucahit coming?" Devrim asked.

"They're outside now, Devrim," Zaira said. "Everyone, please sit down."

Devrim's parents, Hincal Ataman, his father, and Gulay Ataman, his mother, along with his mother's two sisters and their husbands were all on the long table with them.

Just then, the front door opened and they all stood up to greet the guests. Evren, on the other hand, was on her phone chatting Ozge.

"Good morning, Mucahit and Zehra. Welcome," Zaira greeted.

Evren thought the name was familiar and looked up, only to see her mother and her new husband walking up to them, hugging Zaira. And it was like time slowed as Evren stood up and stared at her mother, and Zehra staring back at her.

"Mom?" Evren said.

Devrim looked at Evren whose tears were about to fall. Everyone looked at them, including Devrm's grandmother.

"Mom?" Zaira asked Evren.

***

"What do you think?"

Can video-called Efe and showed him the yellow gold engagement ring with a cushion-cut yellow diamond.

"Over the top as usual, Mr. Can Yaman," Efe laughed. "So you're going to propose to her tonight?"

"Yeah, tonight's the night, dude," Can said, looking at the ring. "I hope she says yes."

"Seriously, Can?" Efe laughed once more. "This is Ozge we're talking about, you two are so in love, I'm surprised it took you this long to propose. I'm so happy for you two."

Can smiled. "Thanks, dude."

"So, when are we coming there for the wedding?" Gultem suddenly appeared, overshadowing Efe in the frame.

Can laughed. "I'll tell you once Ozge says yes."

"Finally, Can, you're gonna get married to the love of your life. Words cannot describe how happy I am for you," Gultem said, teary-eyed. "Ozge is the one."

"Thank you, Gultem. She is," Can said, grinning.

***

Serkan and Hande worked on the new hotel in Karaman the entire day, as the building's structure is coming together. They worked on the new interior designs, carpets and everything needed for the hotel.