Chapter Forty-Five: A New Beginning

Istanbul, Turkey.

"Devrim? Why aren't you asleep yet?"

Devrim's sister, Aysun Ataman, said, as she opened the door of Devrim's office at their mansion. Devrim looked up from his papers, smiling as he saw his sister.

"Just signing some last minute documents, Sister Aysun," Devrim said, turning to the documents. "How about you? Why aren't you asleep yet?"

Aysun smiled, looking out the window. The moon was beautiful tonight, it made everything outside look peaceful.

"I miss Grandma," Aysun said. "If she was here, she would have already told us to go to bed."

Devrim smiled wistfully. "I miss her too. Sometimes, I still can't believe she's gone."

"How are you holding up?" Aysun said. "Being the new president of the Akdeniz Group?"

"Well, it's not like I have a choice, right?" Devrim said. "It was Grandma's wish before she passed away. I couldn't say no to her."

"I know, brother," Aysun chuckled. "So? I heard about your new project, how is it?"

Devrim looked at her, wondering if he should tell her about Evren. He slumped back to his seat and sighed, looking back at his sister.

"Evren is my new partner for the project," Devrim said. "She's an architect at the firm I trust."

"Oooohhhh," Aysun grinned. "Is my brother's feelings coming back?"

"Aysun, don't joke like that," Devrim said. "You know, I'm..."

"I know, I know, brother," Aysun said. "You're engaged to Sevim Basaran, the daughter of the owners of Basaran Group."

Aysun said, putting air quotes as she said the words.

"Do you really love her, brother?" Aysun said.

"Aysun, leave me to do my work, okay?" Devrim laughed. "Good night."

"Good night, brother," Aysun laughed, then she left the room.

***

Rome, Italy.

7:00 AM.

Serkan did his usual morning run at Adrian Park, his thoughts running wild as he jogged. He took deep breathes at every step, still hearing Mr. Iskander and Yasar's words from last night.

"We have a lot to explain to you, Serkan," Mrs. Yasar said.

Serkan exhaled sharply.

"Alright. Tell me," Serkan said, sitting on the marble ledge.

"Serkan, Hande doesn't remember you," Mr. Iskander said, putting his hands in his pockets. "She suffered amnesia as soon as she got her open heart surgery. We had no idea it would happen to her. Apparently, it's common for patients with heart complications to suffer amnesia. Although, the surgery is successful and Hande is perfectly fine now, her memories still hasn't returned."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Serkan said through his teeth. "I could have been there for her! I could have helped her! I would have dropped everything and... and... who is that guy?"

Mrs. Yasar sighed and sat down next to Serkan.

"We were going to tell you. We just waited for the right moment," Yasar said. "We know how much you love our daughter. It's just that, as time went on, Hande was building her new life. And eventually, she fell in love with her doctor, Kerem Bursin. And we couldn't disturb her peace. And..."