Chapter Forty-Seven: Thank You, Savior

"Sir, is there a chance I can back out from this project?"

Evren asked Mr. Berk as he got out of his office. Evren wanted to see Devrim again, yes, but not now. Not like this. Not when everything still hurts.

"But why, Evren?" Mr. Berk said. "Weeks ago, you were excited for this project. You even prepared everything beforehand. Why the sudden change of heart?"

Evren sighed. "I don't think I would be able to work with Mr. Ataman."

"Look, Evren, I know you're nervous about this. This is your first big project," Mr. Berk smiled. "But I assure you, Mr. Ataman is a good client and would not give you a headache. He's famous for being kind to the people he hires. You know him, of course."

Evren sighed as Mr. Berk walked past her, riding the elvator. "I know him. Of course."

Evren exhaled as she went inside her office, only to find Devrim there, looking outside the window.

"Devrim?" Evren said, confused. "What are you doing here?"

"That's Mr. Ataman to you, Miss Uzumcu," Devrim said, walking closer to Evren with his hands in his pockets. "I hope we can be professional here. Why didn't you come to the meeting earlier?"

Evren looked away, turning her gaze to the window. "I was late. I forgot we had a meeting---"

"I don't tolerate lates, Miss Uzumcu," Devrim said, his face having no expression. "I'm giving you a warning, but if you'll be late next time, you're off the project."

"You can't do that," Evren exclaimed as Devrim turned to leave.

"Watch me," Devrim chuckled, then he stopped in his tracks. "Oh, and by the way, you, me, and my fiance, Sevim, are going to buy materials tomorrow. I insisted her to have a say on the building we're working on. It is my gift to her. If you went to the meeting earlier, you would have known that. Oh, well. I'll see you tomorrow."

Devrim left and shut the door, leaving Evren speechless.

"Fiance? He's getting married?"

***

"Well then, Ozge, I'm going back to the hotel."

Rosanna said as they both got up from the sidewalk. It was now 2:00 PM and the sun was blazing hot in their skin.

"Hotel? Why did you sleep in a hotel?" Ozge said.

"I told you, remember? My parents are visiting Rome for my birthday next week. So they're staying here for 2 weeks," Rosanna said. "I booked them a luxury suite in Palazzo Manfredi. Since Mom always wanted to go."

"Oh, right, that's awesome. I'll take you to Palazzo then," Ozge said as they walked to her car.

"Ozge, Mrs. Perran and Yaren are coming here next week too, aren't they?" Rosanna said. "Yaren called me last night and said she's so excited to work here. Your sister finally graduated from Law."

"Yeah, she called me last night too," Ozge said, as they both got inside. "She's been talking about being a lawyer here. She'll finally get to live her dream."

"Does your mom and Yaren know Can's back?"

"No," Ozge sighed. "And honestly, I'm scared to tell them. Especially Yaren. She's mad at Can. Well, she's mad at Guldem but since Can is her son, she's mad at him too."

"How are you gonna tell them?" Rosanna said.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," Ozge said. "Palazzo is by the Colosseum, right?"