Chapter Thirty-Six: Fate Happens

Devrim and Evren walked along the shore of Oludeniz beach, the stars shining above them. The beach was right in the Ataman mansion's backyard and everyone was in the party. Devrim sat down on the sand and Evren sat down beside him.

"So..." Evren started to say. "You didn't tell me you were rich."

Devrim chuckled. "I'm not. But my grandparents are. My mom had a big argument with my grandpa and grandma when Mom wanted to marry Dad. They were just 21 back then and my grandparents were against it. So Mom eloped with Dad and they had to earn money on their own. Now, however, the past is the past and everyone has moved on and Grandpa Egemen Akdeniz and Grandma Zaira Akdeniz has accepted Dad and they're in good terms."

"That's wonderful," Evren said, then she looked away. "Your family life is happy. Your grandparents are the sweetest, and your parents as well. Not like my parents. Dad is always drunk and he never really talks to me. And my mom... well, she doesn't like me, so go figure."

Devrim held Evren's hand, rubbing his thumb.

"I hope you and your mother talk soon, Evren. Maybe it's all a misunderstanding," Devrim said. "Maybe she was just in shock because she didn't see you for so many years."

"In shock," Evren muttered. "Shocked is one thing. Telling me to forget about her is another."

"Don't worry, Evren, your mom will come around in no time," Devrim said, holding Evren's hand.

Evren felt her heartbeat quicken once again, and for once, she didn't take her hand away from him.

"Devrim, I'm sorry I didn't get to tell Ozge to go on a date with you," Evren said, looking out the horizon.

"Forget about it."

"What?" Evren said.

"I realized these past few days that Ozge and I will never be. We're better off as friends," Devrim said, softly. "I see how happy she is with Can. I saw how in love she is. And that's all I want for her."

Evren stared at him, like she as not convinced he was real. Devrim turned to her, his eyes shining.

"Besides, I like somebody else," Devrim said, leaning closer. "And I've never felt anything like this with anyone else in my life."

Evren felt a pang of pain in her chest hearing what Devrim just said. So, he likes somebody else then?

"Who?" Evren said, looking away, clearing her throat.

"You."

Evren quickly turned to Devrim.

"Wh-what?"

"I like you, Evren," Devrim said, taking both of her hands. "Will you go on a date with me?"

Evren laughed. "Yes."

Devrim leaned over and kissed her forehead as the waves kissed their feet.

***

Serkan sat in the stairs of the building they're constructing in Karaman, waiting for Hande to come. She unusually late today, although Serkan knew why. He kept looking outside seeing if Hande's car arrived.

Sermin Mungan, Serkan's new secretary, noticed his nervous demeanor and came up to him.

"Mr. Serkan, are you okay?" Sermin asked, holding the documents close to her chest.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Serkan said, pretending to read the blueprint of the building.

Sermin laughed. "Mr. Serkan, are you looking for Miss Hande?"