Chapter Fifty-One: The Birthday

"Is it just us two?"

Evren asked as she stared at Devrim's car, his girlfriend nowhere to be found. Devrim took off his sunglasses as he looked at Evren from the driver's seat of his convertible, a Mercedes-Benz E350.

"Sevim couldn't come today, she's traveling to France for a business thing. She'll be back in a month," Devrim said. "Are you getting in or what?"

Evren rolled her eyes and got in.

"Where are we going anyway?" Evren asked, putting on her seatbelt.

"We're gonna have to convince my uncle, Halil Terzioglu, to be the hotel's chef," Devrim said. "I hope you got your convincing game on, Evren, cause he's pretty tough."

Evren scoffed. "How about a bet?"

"What kind of bet?"

"If I convince Halil to be the hotel's chef, then you and I will have the talk," Evren said, looking at Devrim intently.

Devrim stared at her for a moment.

"And if you don't, then it will be as if we never happened," Devrim said, silently. "Deal?"

"Deal."

***

"What happened between you and Giancarlo last night?"

Timoteo asked Ozge as they rode in the back of the Rolls-Royce Black Badge, the buildings of downtown Rome passing them by.

"Like I told you, my love, we were talking about the building," Ozge said, turning her gaze outside once more.

"Well, it seemed deeper, I think. Giancarlo looked so angry," Timoteo said, looking at Ozge.

"He... uh... didn't really wanna listen to me," Ozge said, turning to him. "He said he'd made up his mind about destroying the building. Timoteo, could you convince him? Maybe he'd listen to you cause you're partners..."

"I'd rather not, Ozge," Timoteo said. "Giancarlo is known for always standing by his word. If I try to interfere with his decisions, I'm gonna lose him as my client and I can't risk that."

"So you're just going to let him destroy the building, is that right?" Ozge asked him, not believing what she just heard. "Which will cause people to lose their jobs and their homes? I thought you were going to back me up on this! And you were the one who gave Giancarlo the rights to the building without my consent, Timoteo!"

"Look, my love, I'm sorry but I have to make money and Giancarlo has a point---"

"I can't believe you," Ozge said, then she took her bag. "Manlio, stop the car!"

The driver pulled over to the sidewalk as Ozge got out.

"My love, where are you going? Get back here," Timoteo exclaimed.

"Timoteo, do you even hear yourself? Is it all just money to you?" Ozge said, then she hailed a taxi. "Call me when you've come back to your senses cause you're being a jerk right now."

Ozge got into the taxi and Timoteo watched them drive off as he balled his hand into a fist.

"Manlio, let's go to the office."

***

"Is Serkan in his office?"

Hande asked the woman in the front desk as she got two hot coffees for her and Serkan.

"Miss Hande, Mr. Serkan won't be able to come to work today," the woman said.

"Oh, is he going somewhere?"

"He didn't say, Miss Hande."

"Alright. Thank you," Hande frowned as she drank one of the coffees, wondering why Serkan was absent.

***

"Melisa."

Serkan said as he made his way to Melisa's patio where she was having breakfast. Melisa stood up as she saw him and Serkan gestured for her to sit back down.

"It's fine, I just wanted to inform you that your work starts tomorrow, not today," Serkan said. "I have to go to Ostia today to buy a lot of organic vegetables and dairies from a farm, so I won't be able to go to work today."

"Really? Well, that's great..." Melisa said, tossing her sausage back and forth with a fork. "If you ever need help carrying them..."

Serkan laughed. "Do you want to come with me?"

Melisa turned to him and beamed as she nodded.

"Come on, we have a lot of farms to go today," Serkan grinned. "I think you'll love the strawberry farm the most."

Melisa hurriedly ate her food and went inside to get her bag. Serkan laughed as she watched her go, something he hadn't done in a long time.

***

"Surprise!"

Gultem exclaimed as she and Efe went inside Giancarlo's office holding a cake. They both sang, "Happy Birthday," to him as Giancarlo grinned.

"Make a wish, Can," Efe said as they put the cake in his table.

Giancarlo closed his eyes for a moment and blew the candle as Efe and Gultem clapped.

"Thank you, you guys. But seriously you didn't have to," he said, turning back to his documents.

"Ah, ah. Of course, we have to, Can," Gultem said. "We're gonna have so much fun in Amalfi tomorrow."

Giancarlo looked at Efe and Gultem. "What did you guys plan for tomorrow? I hope it's nothing too crazy."

"Of course not," Efe said. "We're just gonna explore Amalfi tomorrow."

Efe and Gultem exchanged looks as they grinned.

***

"Are you sure this is the right place?"

Evren asked as she and Devrim got out of the car in front of an old house that looked like it has been abandoned for years. The house was barely holding on and there were feathers on the ground everywhere. The cages of animals were on the front yard too an there was a big dog guarding the gate.

"Yeah, this is it," Devrim said, as he looked at the map on his phone.

He turned to Evren and grinned.

"I think I'm gonna win this one," he said, feeling victorious.

Evren scoffed. "Oh please, I'm gonna convince the heck out of this guy."

Devrim peered at the house, hoping Halil would come out.

"Is anybody home? HALIL?" Devrim shouted.

"Maybe he's not home today, we should go..."

"He's home. I just texted him thirty minutes ago about us coming here," Devrim said, looking at his phone.

Just then, a man, probably in his forties, with a stained apron on came out. The stain was red and looked like blood and he had a butcher knife in his hand, with the same red liquid along the blade.

"AHHHHHHHHHH!" Devrim and Evren both screamed.

Evren hid behind Devrim as the man approached them slowly.

"Halil?" Devrim asked, a horrified look on his face.

"Devrim, nephew, what are you doing here?" Halil grinned.

A/N:

Hey loves! :) Things are getting even more interesting! Are you guys Team Hande or Team Melisa? SKJKSKS. Please VOTE and COMMENT as much as you can, loves! :D I love you and see you in a few hours! ;)