Chapter Forty-Eight: It Just So Happens

"Son."

Petronella Milani said as Giancarlo passed by the living room she was in. She had missed her son. They lived in the same mansion but Giancarlo seemed too busy nowadays.

Giancarlo smiled as he stepped inside the living room, standing in front of Petronella.

"Mom, good evening," Giancarlo said. "It's late. Why are you still up?"

Petronella smiled, hugging her son.

"I missed you, Giancarlo," she said. "You never have time for your mother these days."

"Mom, you know my work's affairs and how busy it is," Giancarlo said. "But I'm going to arrange and mother-son date for us this Thursday. I'm free."

"Really? Well, I'm glad," Petronella grinned. "How are your affairs? I heard you just bought a new building from Miss Ozge Gurel. Isn't she your ex-girlfriend?"

Giancarlo's smile faded and he cleared his throat.

"Let's not talk about the past anymore, Mom," he said, looking outside. "Five years of my life, I've been trying to forget about her."

"And? Are you successful?"

Giancarlo looked at his mother and sighed, sitting down the couch.

"Where are you going with this, Mom?" he said, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Son, I just want you to be happy," Petronella said. "I can see that you're still in love with Ozge. And I will always support your happiness, son. Whatever makes you happy, I will support it."

Giancarlo smiled wistfully, kissing his mother in the forehead.

"Thank you for being my mom," he grinned. "But I know what will make me happy, Mom. And that is to make Milani Group even more successful."

Giancarlo stood up to leave, when Petronella stopped him.

"Son, don't lose yourself in your bitterness," she said. "That won't get you anywhere. If your heart tells you to love, then love. Love always comes with pain, Son."

Giancarlo turned around to face her, his right hand balled into a fist.

"Does love also come with betrayal, Mom? Because that's what Ozge Gurel did to me," he said, his chest heaving. "Good night."

"Good night," Petronella sighed, watching her son leave until he was out of her sight.

***

"And? What happened, Evren?"

Ozge asked Evren through a video call, as she ate her sliced apple. Evren sighed, tears welling up her eyes.

"He's engaged, Ozge. Devrim is engaged. The last five years must have really been good to him, huh?" Evren said. "He's now the CEO of his family's company, and now he's engaged."

"Ah, ah. What are you talking about, Evren? The last five years has been good to you too," Ozge said, trying to cheer her up. "You're an architect now at one of the best firms in Istanbul. I'm very proud of you."

"Thank you, Ozge," Evren grinned, then she frowned. "I still love him. Devrim. When I first saw him enter the room, I didn't know how to react. I remembered the painful memories again. Then I realized I missed him. That all these years, I've just been waiting for him to come around. To call me again. But I was stupid. After everything I did to him, did I really expect him to wait for me? Of course he found someone else. Of course."

Ozge didn't say anything as she stared at Evren. It was as if Evren's words were intended for her too. Did she really think Can would welcome her with open arms after running away from their wedding?

"Ozge," Timoteo called from the kitchen.

"Ye-yeah," Ozge replied, then she turned to Evren. "Evren, we'll talk tomorrow, alright? Timoteo just called me for dinner."

"Fine. But Ozge, tell me all about you and Can tomorro---"

"Bye, Evren!" Ozge grinned as she immediately exited the app before Timoteo could enter the living room of Ozge's condominium unit.

"My love, let's eat dinner," Timoteo said, kissing the top of Ozge's head.

"I'll be there in a few minutes, love," Ozge said, taking her phone.

"Alright," Timoteo smiled, going back to the kitchen.

Ozge stared at Can's phone number, wondering if she should text him. She wanted to show him how important the first Strawberry Place branch is to him by inviting him for dinner in the branch tomorrow.

But her heart pounded so fast, she almost could not breathe. How do you even talk to the guy you left at the altar?

She gathered all of her strength, her heart in her hands, as she typed:

"Can I invite you to dinner at Strawberry Place in downtown Rome tomorrow night? Please, Giancarlo. Ozge."

She immediately put her phone down as soon as she sent it and hurriedly went to the kitchen.

***

Giancarlo looked out at the view of the ocean at his mansion's terrace, drinking a glass of strawberry champagne. The moon was clear and bright again tonight, and the star was shining above him.

The star he bought for Ozge. The star that was the symbol of their love for each other. The star that he dreaded to see now.

But it was still shining. As if it's also waiting for him to notice it again.

He took a sip of his champagne as La Vie En Rose played in the background. Just then, his phone dinged and it was from an unsaved number. Giancarlo looked at Ozge's message, sighing as he put the phone down.

The next day.

12:00 PM.

"Can, we just can't ignore what happened yesterday. Why is Ozge here?" Gultem asked, breaking the silence.

They were now eating lunch at Efe and Gultem's hotel room as they all agreed to eat lunch together.

"It just so happens that the building that Milani Group bought is the building that Ozge owns," Giancarlo said indifferently. "That's why we're going to tear it down in 2 weeks."

"It just so happens? Like fate?" Efe grinned. "Just accidentally bumping into each other---"

"Efe, Gultem," Giancarlo said, cutting Efe off. "Our day is going great. Let's not ruin it because of Ozge. Anyway, I'm going back to the office. We're gonna go to Amalfi this weekend, right?"

"Right," Gultem said.

"I'll see you guys later," Giancarlo said, then he left the room.

Efe and Gultem both looked at each other.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Efe asked.

"Let's find Ozge," Gultem said, grinning.

A/N:

Hey, y'all! Next chapter will be up tomorrow! :) I missed y'all on hereeee. Please VOTE and COMMENT as much as you can because you all know how much I love reading comments :) I love you and see you in a few hours! <3