Chapter Sixty-One: Serkan's Choice

"Can?"

Efe said.

Giancarlo was driving the SUV as they headed for Ozge's place. Efe looked outside, deep in thought.

"Do you remember that day? The day Yildirim and Diletta had an encounter? The day Diletta died?" Efe said, softly.

"How could I forget?" Giancarlo muttered.

"It was raining that day too... When Diletta died," Efe said. "It was also Friday, the 13th. The same day today. What if..."

"I won't let anyone die tonight, Efe. I promise you that," Giancarlo said, driving faster.

***

"Serkan, I love you."

Melisa muttered, practicing what she was going to say to Serkan when he comes home.

Melisa stood at the middle of the garden of the Cayoglu property as she waited for Serkan. She tried to sit down but she was too anxious, and her heart was racing.

"No..." she muttered, pacing back and forth. "'Serkan, I'm leaving for Istanbul tomorrow. Before I leave, I just wanna say I love you.' Ugh, that's horrible."

She finally gave up standing and sat down on the bench beside the tree. It was drizzling but the tree was enough shade for her not to get wet. She looked at her watch which said: 11:30 PM.

"Serkan, where are you?" she said, feeling more anxious. She had a bad feeling about tonight... Like something horrible was going to happen. Her stomach churned and realized she hasn't eaten yet but the thought of Serkan still not home overtook her desire to have dinner.

Just then, Giancarlo, Ozge, Efe, and Gultem arrived at the property and ran towards Melisa.

"Melisa, right?" Giancarlo said, then he held out his hand. "My name's... Can Yaman."

"Can, Serkan told me about you," Melisa said as she shook his hand. Then she turned to the others.

"You guys are all Serkan's friends, right? What brings you guys here?"

"Um, Melisa, don't panic but Serkan's in trouble," Gultem said.

"What do you mean?" Melisa asked.

"He's been kidnapped," Efe said.

"What?!" Melisa exclaimed.

"Did you know where he went today? If we knew where he was taken, maybe we'd know something about the ones who took him," Can said.

"Yeah, he went with Hande. I think they were going to a party," Melisa said.

"Let's go," Can said, turning around to leave.

"I'm coming with you, guys," Melisa said as Ozge and Gultem took her by the hand.

***

The sound of Kerem's punches in Serkan's face was the only thing that could be heard in the room. They were now in one of the rooms in the fifth floor of the abandoned building. Serkan was now bleeding profusely, since Kerem had hit his head with a bat.

"You worthless excuse of a human being," Kerem said as he punched Serkan with brass knuckles. "Hande is mine! How could she break up with me just to be with you?"

Serkan laughed as blood dripped from his mouth.

"You don't love Hande," Serkan said, ignoring the pain. "You will never love her as much as I love her. Not in a million years, Kerem. I'm the only one for her."

Kerem punched Serkan again, as Serkan lost consciousness.

"Kerem, stop. You're gonna kill him," Timoteo said, putting a hand on Kerem's shoulder. "Do you really want blood on your hands like that? Come on, Can and the others are coming. We'll meet them at the third floor."

Kerem exhaled sharply and wiped the blood off his fist as they left the room, leaving Rosanna and Serkan alone.

Rosanna immediately ran to Serkan and untied him, holding his face.

"Serkan, Serkan, wake up," Rosanna said, shaking him gently.

Serkan slowly opened and closed his eyes, struggling to wake up. Rosanna took her handkerchief and tied it around Serkan's head to stop the bleeding.

"Ro... sanna..." Serkan struggled to say.

"That's right, Serkan, I'm gonna get you out of here," she said, helping him up. "I already called Hande and the others and told them where we are. They're coming. We're meeting them in the parking lot. Try to stay awake, okay?"

Serkan nodded slowly as Rosanna helped him walk out of the building.

***

"Hande, Melisa, Ozge, and Gultem, you four go meet Serkan and Rosanna at the exit in the ground floor," Can said as he parked the car. "Efe and I will handle Timoteo and Kerem."

Hande, Melisa, Ozge, and Gultem all nodded as they all made their way out of the car. The girls all searched for Serkan and Rosanna in the first floor, while Can and Efe ran to the third floor.

Efe stopped at the stairs midway and Can followed.

"Efe, what's wrong?" Can said, turning around to face him.

"Can, we're gonna settle this once and for all, right?" Efe said, worried.

Can smiled and nodded.

"Yes, Efe. We will."

They stopped outside the only room open in the third floor as Can swiftly turned the knob. They found Timoteo and Kerem in the middle of the room, illuminated by the single lightbulb.

"Can, Efe, welcome," Timoteo grinned. "How is it being in here after five years?"

"Timoteo, how dare you---," Can said, walking slowly towards him.

"Uh, uh," Timoteo said as he and Kerem took out their guns and pointed them at Can and Efe. "Don't you dare take another step, Can Yaman, or I'll blow your brains out."

"You don't wanna do this," Can said, putting his two hands up.

"Oh, but I do, Can Yaman," Timoteo said as he frowned. "What do you say? A life for a life? I'll give you Serkan back if you let me kill you. It is fair, after all. A price you have to pay for killing my beloved sister, Diletta."

***

"We're here!"

Rosanna shouted in a whisper as Hande, Melisa, Ozge, and Gultem ran towards her and Serkan.

"Serkan!" Hande and Melisa shouted in unison.

Hande immediately rushed to Serkan as she helped Rosanna carry him to the car, Melisa following after them. Ozge and Gultem slowly made their way to the third floor as Melisa, Hande, Rosanna, and Serkan drove off to the hospital.

//

"Serkan, don't sleep. Don't sleep, okay?"

Rosanna said as she drove. Melisa was in the front seat, while Hande and Serkan are in the back.

"Serkan, look at me, look at me," Hande said as tears fell from her eyes. "Don't close your eyes. Stay awake, keep your eyes on me."

Serkan could barely hear Hande's words, and his vision was blurring. But hers was a voice he could recognize anywhere, a voice that had been part of who he was and is.

"Hande..." Serkan smiled as his strength was fading. "Hande, I love you. I'm sorry I lied. But the truth is, I love you. I still love you. I wanna tell you everything now in case I don't make it. Seni çok seviyorum, Hande Erçel (I love you so much, Hande Erçel)."

Hande smiled through the tears as she held Serkan's face.

"You're not gonna die, Serkan. I love you too," she said, leaning her forehead against his.

Melisa felt like she couldn't breathe, felt like her chest was closing in on her as she saw Serkan and Hande. She was broken in two ways. Seeing Serkan in a state of death, and seeing him love someone else.