Chapter Seventy: The Journal

"Do you, Mr. Can Yaman, swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth so help you God?"

"I do," Can said calmly, his face showing no emotion.

"Alright, trial for the murder of Efe Sezen will commence now."

One month ago.

"Where do you wanna go for our honeymoon, Ozge?"

Can said as he ate the last of his cheesecake, standing behind Ozge. Strawberry Place was closed today due to a small renovation and it gave Ozge time to personally check everything on the menu. It was now 11 PM and the streets of Rome were surprisingly quiet at this time.

Maybe times have changed in this town.

"Hmm," Ozge said, slicing a cake. "What if we go back to Istanbul? I heard most of our friends are going back since Mr. Baki's death. We can attend his funeral as well."

"That would be a great idea," Can said. "I would love to go back. But I'm gonna have to talk to Mama about it first. She's gonna be shocked if I just left Rome unannounced."

"Does she know about us getting married?" Ozge said, lifting her eyebrows.

"Yeah, and she's very happy for us, don't worry," Can chuckled. "She wants to meet you soon."

"I would love to," Ozge grinned, putting the last slice of matcha cheesecake on the rack. "Also, I was thinking..."

She wrapped her arms around Can's waist, holding him close.

"What if we permanently go back to Istanbul, Can?" Ozge said softly. "It's been on my mind for weeks now. I didn't know how to tell you since... I don't know if you've healed from everything that happened there. But Istanbul is our home and always will be."

Can looked at her intently as she spoke.

"Would you please consider it?" Ozge asked.

Can didn't say anything for a while, his thoughts drifting to his mother, Guldem and everything she did. But it's been years and Guldem seemed to have vanished off the face of the earth.

Maybe going back to Istanbul was a good idea.

"Okay," Can smiled.

"Yey!" Ozge said, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "We're going next week, okay?"

"Next week? That soon?"

Ozge laughed. "Of course. Efe and Gultem are coming with us too."

Can chuckled and Ozge kissed him on the cheek.

"This is the start of our new life together, Can."

***

Serkan stared at the now lifeless body of Baki Cayoglu in the gold-plated coffin. Baki Cayoglu was a man of few words but he never hesitated telling Serkan anything. Serkan could still remember that night, two months ago, when Baki called him to tell him something important.

Serkan was working on late night paper works for a presentation they had to do tomorrow. He squinted his eyes as they burn from lack of sleep. Serkan looked at his laptop's clock which read: 2 AM.

Man, it's that late already?

Serkan saved his documents and turned his laptop off when his phone rang. Who could it be in the middle of the night?

It was from an unknown number. Serkan doesn't usually answer calls from a number he doesn't have saved, but something told him he was supposed to pick up this one. He clicked 'accept,' and a familiar voice who seemed breathless made his heart jump.

"Serkan, listen to me."

His granddad, Baki Cayoglu, panted on the other line. Baki lived in Istanbul, which means it's 3 AM there. What was his grandfather doing, running, in the middle of the night?

"Granddad?" Serkan said. "Have you been running---"

"Serkan, there's no time to explain," Baki cut him off, Serkan could hear a car door closing in the background. "If something happens to me, I want you to take my journal that's hidden in my library. It's between two rows of books and... Ugh... They're following me. I'll talk to you soon, okay?"

Then he hung up. Serkan sat in silence for a moment wondering what on earth just happened.

Could this be what you meant, Granddad? Serkan thought, his eyebrows stitched with worry.

Mustafa suddenly stood beside Serkan, his eyes on the coffin.

"Who knew we were gonna be all together again because of Granddad?" Mustafa said. "I really missed this."

Serkan smiled.

"We should all hang out next week just like the old times. We have to go to Granddad's hotel and resort in Izmir next week anyway for the Healing Hands' foundation party. We're gonna have a great time there," Serkan said.

"Alright," Mustafa grinned.

***

The next day.

Ozge grinned as she carried the bag of Tantuni as she stepped inside Sapienza University of Rome where Yaren works as a professor. Ozge was amazed at the beautiful architecture of the university, wondering what it would be like to study there.

She headed for the faculty and went inside. The faculty was big room full of professors and their desks. Ozge looked around for Yaren.

"Hi, is Miss Gurel here? I'm her sister," Ozge told one of the professors walking by.

"Oh, Yaren? She didn't come to work today," the lady professor said.

"Oh... did she say why?"

"She just said she had something to do and hung up. If you'll excuse me, I need to go to my class," the professor smiled and left.

Ozge sighed as she looked down.

***

"Hande, will you please come to Izmir with me next week? It's the foundation's anniversary, I think you'll love the kids," Serkan said through the phone as he walked the dog around the neighborhood.

"Are you sure you want me there?" Hande grinned, teasing.

"I'm sure," Serkan said, softly. "I miss you, Hande. It's hard not being with you."

"Alright, I'm coming," Hande said. "I love you."

"I love you too," Serkan said. "I'll see you soon."

"See you," Hande grinned.

***

"Can, Ozge, Efe, and Gultem are all going to Istanbul next week."

Yaren said as she took a sip of her tea, the ocean breeze swaying her hair back and forth. They are now in Timoteo's villa, that was just beside the Mediterranean sea in Rome.

"I'm going after them. I'll threaten Efe there," Yaren said. "Are you coming with me?"

"No need. Kerem is coming with you," Timoteo said. "I have some things I need to take care of here. I'll call you when you get there. Our plan needs to work."

"Oh, please, we're just gonna threaten Efe into breaking up Can and Ozge. It will be a piece of cake," Yaren grinned.

Timoteo chuckled as he typed something in his phone.

A/N:

I'M BACKKKK after 7 months!! Hahaha.

What did you think about this chapter?? Please comment and vote!!

Also, I'm thinking of doing a Serkan and Hande fanfic after Tatli Ask. Would you guys read??