The Boy In The Back

Monday

I was in the middle of class, bored from the current lesson. It was about Japanese history, something I could understand, but never put the effort into learning about it. Everyone else was focusing attentively, except one person.

There was this guy in the back of the classroom, his bangs covering his eyes. He doesn't talk much, and never pays attention to the lessons. His carefree personality had caught my attention, and now I couldn't stop looking at him.

What does he do in his free time? What does his voice sound like? What color are his eyes? These questions rang in my head as I stared at him.

Just who are you?

Tuesday

There he was again, sitting in the back, staring at the window. The noise around me was tuned out as I stared at him, filled with curiosity.

"Karuizawa? What are you doing?" My friend, Satou asked. If your friend suddenly blanked out, I guess anyone would be curious about their actions.

"Nothing, just droning off. What are we talking about?" I asked, trying to change the subject. Maya wasn't as perceptive as someone like Matushita, so this should be fine.

"Oh we were just talking about the ikemen rankings! Do you want to participate?" Satou asked, getting excited. The secret ratings we have were always unexplainably fun, even if Yousuke won the majority of the time.

"Sure, who's the current top 5?" I asked back, taking the list from Satou. Scanning over it, Yousuke was at the top like always, then Shibata, and then Kanzaki. At the 4th spot was a boy named "Kiyotaka Ayanokouji". He looked almost identical to the boy in the back!

"Who is this guy?" I asked Satou. She looked where I was pointing on the paper, and let out an oh sound.

"Oh, this guy? He was voted by two 2nd years, and a lot of girls in our year. Even Horikita said he was a good guy." Satou said matter-of-factly. Just how many girls liked this guy? He didn't seem too special outside of his personality, but if our class leader says he's a good guy, there must be something special to him.

So your name is Ayanokouji, huh?

It has a nice ring to it.

I like it.

Wednesday

Today, I would talk to him. He was in the back of the class, as always. He was staring at the window, entranced by something outside.

How should I start off the conversation? Would he even respond? These questions were bouncing around my head, messing up my thought process as I walked towards him.

I reached his desk, and tapped him on the shoulder. His head turned towards me, still not revealing his eyes. My brain suddenly shut down, not knowing what to do. I really didn't expect to get this far.

"U-Um, are you Ayanokouji?" I ask, my voice breaking down randomly. Why was I so nervous around him?

"Yes?" He responded. His voice was calm and soothing, something I didn't expect out of him. I really liked it.

"I wanted to ask if you would hang out with me sometime?" I randomly blurt out. He tilted his head to show confusion. If a random boy asked me out, I'd probably have the same response.

"I wouldn't mind, but I'm not that interesting." He said, looking back to the window.

"That doesn't matter!" I exclaimed suddenly. He seemed startled, so I lowered my voice. "I just want to hang out with you, okay?"