Chapter 2

We won.

And the look on his face was priceless.

I walked up to him with a smirk, taunting him as he rolled his eyes and huffed before picking up a ball and throwing it across the hall. He kept his eyes on me the whole time and looked worse than the twins when they lose at snakes and ladders. I don't know what their obsession is with that game but it's hilarious.

"Now now Black, no need for a hissy fit." I teased making him more angry than before.

"No need to rub it in Carter. You just got lucky." He grumbled.

"You might call it luck but we both know it's pure talent." I said proudly.

"Carter! Black! Go get changed." Coach yelled from the doorway.

I gave him a sweet smile before spinning on my heels and walking off to the locker room.

"He's so pissed." Mia giggled as I walked into the locker room and opened my locker.

"Mia how is your brother such a jerk? I mean that in the nicest way possible." I said with a cheeky grin.

"I guess that's just the way he is." She said with a nervous laugh.

I gave her a strange look but didn't say anything about it. I don't want to pry.

"It'll be fun messing with him." I said with a smirk as Mia laughed.

"Good luck Ev you'll need it." She said with a wide grin as she closed her locker.

"Girls we don't have all day hurry up." Coach yelled from outside the locker room.

"Let's get going, I have AP English." I groaned as I grabbed my bag and followed Mia out of the locker room.

"There you girls are, these guys are boring." Noah groaned.

"Mia." Mason called out making the three of us turn around.

He had a blank expression on his face making me roll my eyes as Mia giggled before walking to Mason.

"I'm going to be late, wait for her?" I asked Noah as he gave me a reassuring smile and nodded his head.

I turned around and speed walked down the hallway and to the staircase. I made it to my class seconds before the bell rang and threw the door open.

"Miss Carter nice of you to join us." Mrs Mills said playfully with a raised eyebrow.

"Sorry." I sheepishly grinned before rushing to my usual seat at the back.

"Right guys, I know it's your first day back but we have a lot to get through. Now, Melissa will be handing out a copy of 'The Great Gatsby'." She said as she handed Melissa a pile of books to hand out.

Once she handed them all out everyone simultaneously opened their books.

"Now, we'll be reading a chapter today and you'll be reading chapter two and three for homework." She announced as everyone groaned.

"Groan all you like kiddos because this isn't even the beginning." She chuckled.

Just as she opened her mouth to speak, the door flew open revealing the one and only Mason Black. I rolled my eyes at him and directed my attention away from him and to the book in front of me. I completely forgot that he'll be in all my classes.

"Ah you must be Mason. Welcome to AP English, take a seat wherever you like." She greeted happily.

Mrs Mills is probably my favourite teacher, she's 26 and she's probably the coolest teacher in this school. She relates to her students a lot more compared to other teachers which is probably the main reason why everyone loves her so much.