Chapter 52

Thirteen hours, forty eight minutes, and twenty two seconds and counting. It's been that long since I've said a word to Mason and vice versa. No I wasn't counting, I worked it all out and then started counting. I had yet another sleepless night and instead of learning the circulatory system of the heart, I couldn't stop thinking of the argument I had with Mason. It was literally putting me in a bad mood and my brain has turned into mush.

"You eat with your mouth, not your entire face." Dad said as he moved my barely touched plate of food to the side and held up my head. "You didn't sleep last night." He stated more than asked.

"Just busy with school that's all." I partially lied as he raised an eyebrow at me and shook his head.

"Mhm, lie to me more." He said as I rolled my eyes and laid my head down on the table. My crepe long forgotten. "Talk to me." He said as he sat down next to me making me rest my head on his shoulder.

"Nothing important pops." I shrugged. "On a totally different note, what happened to grandma and grandpa?" I asked recalling my conversation with Aiden yesterday.

"Where's that suddenly come from?" He asked amused as I shrugged my shoulders and waited for him to speak. "Well, Gigi and Pops weren't your typical grandparents. They were always against David and Annabelle's relationship because she came from a rich family and he was broke. They knew he was using her for her money so when they cut ties with her David switched up too. He went from a loving husband to an abusive one because she no longer had the money. It all changed when we were born and I got a lot older. Elijah helped me find their contact details and we got in touch with them. We thought maybe they'd take us in and help us with the David situation since Annabelle was long gone and we had a cute little new born with us. They couldn't take us in since they were in a retirement home sat on a pile of cash. They handed almost all of it to me and that was the last I heard of them." He said as I closed my eyes trying to imagine the situations.

"Do you sometimes regret not tossing me in an orphanage or something?" I asked as he moved away from me and looked directly at me in confusion.

"Where's that come from?" He frowned as I shrugged my shoulders and kicked my legs back and forth underneath the table. "You gave me purpose, sweetheart. You gave me a reason to put my brains to use and be someone... phenomenal. If it weren't for you I probably would have lived off of Gigi and Pops money. But I didn't, I worked and made the others do it too because we can't trust the future." He confessed as I smiled and wrapped me arms around his neck.

"You're a real sap you know." I snorted as he rolled his eyes and hugged me tighter. "Aiden said the same thing last night." I told him.

Pulling away, he wiped his red eyes and shoved me off.

"Finish your breakfast, you still have school." He said before sliding my plate back to me and leaving the room.

I didn't bother eating so instead I put the plate in the microwave and put on my shoes and jacket. I ran up the stairs and grabbed my school bag before running back down. I quickly checked my hair and outfit in the mirror before following dad out the front door.

After an unnecessarily long car ride, we soon stopped outside school and to my luck it started raining. I let out a loud groan while dad laughed at me and drove further in through the gates so I wouldn't have to walk so much in the rain. The second he stopped the car, I quickly got out and ran as fast as my legs would take me into the building.

Despite running as fast as the flash, I still managed to get soaked in the rain. Great.

"Ev, come on! We're late." I heard Kade yell. I looked around to see him and Holly standing on the other side of the hallway waiting for me.