Chapter 26 - The Things I Do To Keep You Safe

~~

Regina POV

"Do you think it would be wise to not bring Rayver, Regina?"

"Padre, for the last time, yes. It is for his own good, and you know it." I reply, looking at him pointedly. Finally, he relented and nodded. Silence emerged in the car as we drove to the venue of the event.

At the end of every year, there is a gathering of the Mafia leaders. Basically, the whole point was to brag about new and expensive shit, more successful illegal activities, and to try and not kill one another. The last one had proven to be a feat hard to overcome as the years passed on.

I've been going to these events since I was ten, since I was the only heir of the Italian Mafia. Because I had been a child and a girl, other male heirs tried to pick on me before, but since they saw me breaking the arm of the biggest bully our age, which happened to be Cavillor, they stopped shitting with me. Except for Cavillor.

The car stopping took my attention away from memory lane, along with the bright flashes of cameras. Taking a deep breath, I nodded to Padre, and we then proceeded to get out of the car. More bright flashes went our way, but with the years of practice, we weren't bothered a single bit.

We continued walking on the red carpet to the entrance, and once we walked in, I made sure to keep my cold glare firmly in place. Heads turned our way, as they always did, as my father and I descended the stairs.

Once we reached the even floor, I saw Soren start to walk our way, making me raise my brow at seeing him alone.

"Your second in command absent for one of the most important events in the year?" I muttered to my father under my breath.

"He's here. Just on the sidelines." He murmured back, earning a nod of acknowledgement from me. Then, a middle-aged couple came to him, taking his attention with them.

Soren then stood beside me, whispering under his breath, "The others are ready for us at the VIP lounge." A single nod is what I answered him with.

A tap on my shoulder made me turn my head to the source, and was met with an aspiring young actor, Dominic Jameson.

{A/N: That's a random name, guys. If there's actually someone with the name, I don't know them.}

"Hey, I saw you come in, and to say that you have captured my interest would be a great understatement. Would you accompany me with a dance?" He finished with a smile that showcased his pearly whites.

I raised my brow. He's attractive, I'll give him that. With his wavy, brunette hair and vibrant emerald eyes, he looked like the kind of guy that had everything they wanted to be given to them with only a flash of his 'swoon-worthy' smile. He's hot, yes, however...

"No," I mumble, turning my attention to my phone, eagerly waiting for Padre to finish talking business.

Apparently, newbie here doesn't take lightly being declined and ignored.

He grasped my shoulder, and unlike the tap earlier, this one had some pressure in it. "Hey, who do you think you are? Acting like you own this place and all? What, you think you're too good to interact with other people?" He scoffed. "News flash, you aren't that special, sweetie. I wouldn't even be talking to you if it weren't for a fucking dare."

Shrugging his hand off of my body, I turned to him, with my blank expression still intact. He, however, looked satisfied and smug, as if he thought that I would be all dramatic and cry over his feet.

I tilted my head, asking, "Who'd you have this 'bet' with?"

He proudly gestured over to a group of guys our age at a corner, grinning to themselves as they watched us, probably thinking the same thing as this airhead is.