Chapter 39 - Desperate Male Indeed

~~

THIRD PERSON POV

Gunshots kept on resounding in the bloody parking lot, people dropping down from both sides fast. On one side was a group of the Italian Mafia who were still loyal to their former leaders, and the other were a group from the British Mafia, who were defending themselves against the rebels. Soon, the whole lot was painted red, with only a few going away alive, but heavily injured. 

Amongst those loyal ones from the Italian Mafia who came out alive was an auburn-haired man that was hidden from the view of people by his black hoodie.

~~

"What do you mean they have attacked again?! This is the fourth time that they disrupted our shipment! If they do this again, our whole schedule for the next months will also be messed up!" The leader of the British Mafia yelled, slamming his hands down on the desk, so hard that it cracked under pressure. 

Almost everyone flinched at the tension in his voice, except a few that were already used to his dominating presence. 

Xavier Flare glared, gazing at the people seated around the table. His temper was near his peak now, and if ever they can't get these little rebels to tone themselves down, then things may turn for the worse. For both parties, that is. 

Inhaling deeply and pinching his eyes together tightly, he gestured with his hands to shop everyone out. Not wanting to stay another second near the devil, almost every person sped to the doors except one. Once the final person exited, silence ensued more than ever between the father and son duo. 

Xavier was clutching his head, while Cavillor was subconsciously scratching his chin, both deep in thought in brainstorming how to diffuse this situation.

"We need to get them to obey us." Xavier started.

His son barely stopped himself from rolling his eyes. 'Really? I never would have thought.' He didn't dare say those words out loud, though. This man was Cavillor's leader first before his father. At least that's what was drilled into his mind since his youth. 

Snapping his fingers, the Mafia King continued, "We have to instill fear in them. They're way too loyal to their former superiors. If this continues and people see that we do not take action, they will think that we are too lax on them." 

His son, however, shook his head in disagreement. "No, making them fear us won't work."

Xavier exploded, "And why not?!" 

"Father," Cavillor locked eyes with his father, "Whether or not you would want to admit it, the Luciano family could and have caused more fear to people than us. They weren't the top one for nothing, of course." 

"Exactly! They were, not are. Their people know that they're both dead, so why are they still retaliating against our power?!" Xavier said, annoyed and frustrated. 

"But they're not both dead. Regina is still alive and well." Cavillor pointed out, propping himself up a wall. 

His father narrowed his eyes at his son. "That's another thing I'd wanted to bring up between us. 'Alive and well'? Aren't you aware that it's supposed to be the other way around? Actually, she's not even supposed to be alive right now!" 

As Cavillor opened his mouth to give a response to his father's accusations, Xavier suddenly said in a low voice, "Don't tell me… Are you falling for that Luciano girl, Cavillor?" 

The said guy's eyes opened widely at what his father insinuated. "What?! Of course… Not, Father." 

The Mafia King raised his brow, noting how his son hesitated. As he was about to scold his son, a sudden idea came to his mind. He thought the plan through, and decided to go along with it, for it would benefit them. What he didn't know, however, was that way before he even came across this idea, someone had already been in the middle of it.

~~

"Hey, Regina! You know what this shirt is made of?" 

She ignored the annoying, buzzing bee, and continued to get the ingredients for a sandwich. The annoying bug, however, was too used to it to even care to stop, and just continued. 

"Boyfriend material."

"…" Hearing no response, Cavillor glanced over his shoulder while sipping his coffee for a few seconds, then turned back to Regina, who had noticed he was acting strange. Well, stranger than usual. 

"Did you sit on a pile of sugar? 'Cause you have a pretty sweet ass." He then smiled gorgeously, only to be replied with ignorance. 

Of course, this little defeat won't be enough to bring him down just yet. 

"Is it hot? Or is it just you?" He paused, then continued, "Yeah, it is definitely you." 

"Are you a thief? Because you just stole my everything." 

"I want to say 'fuck you for taking my heart', but I just remembered that I gave it to you anyway." 

"You and me? It's kind of a--" 

"You know, if you want to get laid, you could've just said so." Regina cut him off.

"…" 

Cavillor pursed his lips, gulped all of his poisonous caffeine, and without another word, headed upstairs. Before he did, however, he shouted over to the lady who had just finished the food, "Ten minutes!" 

Regina rolled her eyes at him, not bothering to reply. Once she was sure that he was out of sight, she took out his phone that she stealthily stole from his pocket and easily opened the password. 

The first day they rolled around the sheets. She rolled her eyes, 'What a guy.' 

Her curiosity in his actions of looking over his shoulder before every question forced her to take his phone, and find out what the hell that weirdo was looking at before every pick-up line. 

She rose her brows, shocked at what she saw. 101 Pick-Up Lines To Get The Girl.

Regina rolled her eyes at the desperate male. Suddenly, from afar, she heard a yell, "Two minutes!" 

Yup. Desperate male indeed.

~~

Bare limbs were entangled along the navy blue sheets, the moon being the only light that shone in the whole room. In a spooning position, the two worn-out people were silent, their breaths and heartbeats were the only sounds audible. 

Almost unconsciously, the blonde 23-year-old man's fingers were drawing circles on the 22-year-old woman's arm in an innocent, loving way. 

Breaking the silence, he whispered, "Have you ever been in love, Regina?" 

She thought about his words. Love? No, she wasn't even able to feel some emotions, let alone love. But actually, now that she thought about it, yes. She did love someone. She still loves him. Of course, she wasn't in love with him, but instead just loves him. 

As a sister does to her brother.

She faintly smiled, and instead of answering straight, she said with vagueness, "We all think love is worth it; it's not. It's just a stupid emotion that brings nothing but hurt. It's a waste of time; a distraction."

Cavillor's heart ached at her answer. 

Inhaling, he whispered again, this time with an objective. "What if… I wonder what it would be if we ever got married…"

He felt her tense under him but relax a second later. Faintly chuckling with no humor, she answered with a whisper as well, "Don't joke like that, Cavillor. I almost thought you were serious."

A few minutes passed with no words spoken, and just as Regina was drifting off to sleep, she heard him breathe out something.

"But I was…"

~~

[1256]