Chapter 42 - Awake

~~

THIRD PERSON POV

In a hospital room, back in New York City, a group of young adults in their early twenties was sitting on chairs, surrounding a hospital bed in the middle. There were two women and one man, they were all resting, waiting for the final member of their group who had yet to come, to bring their food. 

Finally, after a short wait, the door opened, and in came a brunette, carrying three boxes of pizza. They all perked up, the smell wafting to their noses. 

"Well, finally!" One of the girls that had been waiting exclaimed, jumping to her feet from her friend's side and to the newcomer who had brought the heavenly blessing called food. 

"Haha, sorry. My boss had me stay back a bit because the coffee shop was packed." The tired brunette excused herself as she sat down on the couch, placing the pizzas on the table, along with her blonde friend. 

"Oh, do you have anything from there?" Another girl, the one with black hair, asked in hopefulness, knowing how delicious the pastries in her friend's workplace were. 

Before the girl in question could answer, the only male in the room, which was the black-haired beauty's fiancé, said, "Come on, you just finished a whole box of donuts! I don't get your fascination with sweets." 

He then got smacked in the head, but he only gave a teasing grin to his fiancé. 

"Shut up, Jordan." She said, glaring at him. "Are you saying I'm fat?!" 

He immediately got alarmed, "No, no! Of course not! It's not you, sweetie, it's the baby--"

Gasp. "Are you saying our baby's fat?!" 

"Wha– no! Come on, Alyssa!" 

The rest ignored their couple friends' bickering, which was already the usual. And like always, it would end with Alyssa being the winner. 

"Hey, Miles. Any changes on him?" The brunette, which was Fiona, asked her best friend, looking at the patient on the hospital bed. 

Unfortunately, the platinum-blonde female merely shook her head. "No, still none. Same as every day." Sigh. "Honestly speaking, I'm starting to wonder whether or not he will--" 

"Stop. What are you even talking about?!" 

The whole room was silenced by Fiona's shout. She rarely raised her voice, but when it came to this matter… 

"Fiona…" 

She cut Miley off, "No, Miley. What are you thinking, saying all that? Of course, he'll wake up! H-he just needs time--" 

"Fiona, stop!" This time, Miley was the one who cut her off and had raised her voice. "Look, we all want him to wake up, yeah. But this coma of his… We don't know if he'll even ever wake up, okay?! Sooner or later, you'll have to accept that."

The brunette looked broken. She faced her other friends, looking at their faces whether they support or oppose Miley's words. None of them had any objections, but instead, looked at her in pity, as if they were telling her that it was time to move on. 

However, Fiona shook her head, her stubbornness and emotions leading her. "No. He will wake up. I-I know he will… A-and if you don't believe so, then get out. All of you." 

Her friends looked ashen. 

"Fee…" Jordan called her using her nickname, but she merely ignored him and hugged her arms around herself. 

He sighed, then patted Miley's shoulder, saying, "Let's go--" 

"No!" She snapped, shocking him. She stood up and glared at Fiona, saying, "Look, Fiona. We all want him to wake up. He was our best friend, after all! But this… This is reality! There is a fifty-fifty chance of him not waking up, so you have to be ready if ever that chance comes. I'm not telling you to forget him, I'm telling you, to not get your hopes up too much, and get too hurt afterward!"