Chapter 20

Kyouka cried out in shock as she buried her face into my neck, the flames from the impact of the drone with the Moby Dick, heading towards us.

I furrowed my brows, concentrating, trying to keep a shield of fire around us.

I felt the flames hit my dark flames as my flames overpowered them, protecting us.

However, I was still weak from the fight and I felt cuts and stabs as we rolled around the plane.

I opened my eyes as I saw a lot of debris around us.

My flames had destroyed most things that would have killed us, acting as a shield.

As I closed my eyes, I realised I only had a flicker of power.

I groaned as I opened my wings around Kyouka.

She had passed out, from the shock.

I checked to see if she had any injuries and sighed in relief to find none.

I winced as I pushed myself up.

My left wing had been impaled by two chunks of wood, my right wing had most its feather burnt off and my side had a large cut.

Though that wasn't my biggest problem.

Right now, we were trapped in the Moby Dick and water was rapidly filling the room.

I stood up and waded though the water, carrying unconscious Kyouka.

I tried pushing on the door, however it was blocked by both sides.

I debated using my last of my flames to burst this door open but hesitated.

What if there were more blocked exits? I thought to myself.

The water has reached my knees now.

I frowned as I leaned down to tap the ground beneath.

It sounded hollow.

We were on the bottom of the Moby Dick.

Somehow we had smashed from the top, straight to the bottom.

Suddenly, an idea popped in my head as I wondered if I would be able to hold out for that long.

I could use my remains of my power to keep Kyouka within a shield of flames, keeping the air in, but the water out.

The only problem was, I didn't know if I could hold my ability for that long.

However, the water was now up to hips as I sighed.

In order to protect Kyouka, I would risk it.

I plopped Kyouka up on a beam and breathed deeply.

I couldn't waste any more time. 

I felt small flames burst from my fingertips as I let them surround Kyouka, creating a small forcefield.

I was grateful she was small, so I didn't have to make such a large one.

Suddenly, I saw Kyouka stir from inside the shield of flames as her eyes opened.

She frowned in confusion but widened in shock as she saw me.

I smiled sadly. "Goodbye, Kyouka-chan." I said as Kyouka's eyes widened as she saw the flames around her.

"Wait! No, onee-chan!" Kyouka started but I had already moved my flames.

They crashed through the water and I concentrated harder to make sure the flames would evaporate the water before it could enter the small forcefield.

I let the outside of my flames burn hotter as I felt it create a hole in the bottom of the Moby Dick.

The water filled faster as it reached my shoulders.

I closed my eyes as I kept my hold on the flames.

I strained harder as I felt the flames get further away.

I felt the water hit my neck as I gasped.

Suddenly, my hold on my flames disappeared as I used the remaining power I had left.

There was not even a flicker left.

I just hoped Kyouka would be able to swim away.

I gasped as the water came over my head.

I was now swimming in the cramped room.

I wish I could make my wings disappear, but they were injured which meant I couldn't.

I kept my head above the water as the water rose higher.

I smiled sadly as I my head hit the ceiling of the room.

"Thank you, everyone." I muttered out to myself.

Everyone's faces flicked through my mind.

Dazai-san, Ranpo-san, Yosano, Keiji, Tanizaki, Naomi, Atsushi-kun, Chuuya-san, Kyouka-chan, Akutagawa...

I laughed to myself softly.

"Admit your feelings to Chuuya-san, Dazai-san. If you don't, I'll find a way to make you." I chuckled out as I tilted my head up.

"Keep Kyouka-chan safe, Atsushi-kun." I whispered softly.

"Akutagawa... Thank you for understanding me." I said as I took my last breath.

I opened my eyes under water as I swam around, trying to look for some sort of exit.

However, I didn't find any.

The hole in the ground was too small for me and my wings to fit through.

I could feel my lungs start to plead for air.

I clamped down on that instinct as I thought back to the memories I had made.

I kept thinking, as my vision started turning black, lungs screaming for air.

I'm sorry Kyouka... Atsushi... Dazai... Akutagawa...

Stay safe for me.

I thought for the last time as I let the darkness take over, engulfing me as I passed out.