Chapter 40

Tears glistened in Akutagawa's silver-grey eyes as he fell to his knees and bowed his head.

"I'm sorry." Akutagawa whispered as I stared at him in shock.

"Akutagawa?" I asked as Akutagawa stayed on the ground.

"I didn't mean to say those things." Akutagawa said as I tensed.

I want you to stop trying to protect me.

I want you to leave.

Get out of here, y/n.

I flinched ever so slightly.

"I just..." Akutagawa started.

"I can't bear to see you get hurt." Akutagawa said as I stared at him.

"Watching you almost die in front of me..." Akutagawa muttered as he shook his head.

"It almost killed me. I went on so many mission when you were in coma. I couldn't take my mind off you. I couldn't stop thinking about how I failed to protect you." Akutagawa said as I felt tears fill my eyes.

I wiped them away with the back of my hand as Akutagawa stared at the ground.

"Forgive me, y/n." Akutagawa said as I stayed still before kneeling in front of him.

"I couldn't bear the fact that you wanted me to leave." I whispered as Akutagawa tensed.

"But, I couldn't bear being alone, without you." I whispered out.

"I want to stay with you, even if it means going through dangers." I said as Akutagawa was frozen.

"I want to fight with you, go through hell, because none of it would be worse than not being with you." I murmured as I raised my hand to Akutagawa's cheek.

"You're not afraid that you may die, staying by me?" Akutagawa asked as I scoffed.

"I'm more afraid of living a life without you than spending one together, even through hell." I said as Akutagawa stared into my eyes.

"You mean the world to me." Akutagawa said as he stared at me.

"You look at me like I'm not a bad person..." Akutagawa said as he hung his head staring at the ground.

I didn't know what to say as silence rang around us.

"When I first saw you tied up on the chair at Silent Winds..." Akutagwa suddenly said, making me tense.

"You looked so weak. You were so thin and you looked dead." Akutagawa muttered as I listened to him.

"And that was the first time I had seen anyone look at me with such hope in their eyes." He said.

"You looked broken and when I carried you, you were so light and it felt like you would've disappeared." Akutagawa looked up at me and offered me a small smile.

"It's like you said, even the strong are broken and they need someone to help piece them together." He said as I felt tears prick the corner of my eyes.

"We're all broken in our own ways." I said as Akutagawa looked back up at me again.

Suddenly, Akutagawa surged forward, crashing his lips to mine as my hands ran through his hair.

My heart fluttered as he pulled me closer, hand on my back, the other on the back of my neck.

His lips were warm on mine as I felt hot all over again.

I felt his tongue brush against my bottom of my lip, requesting entrance.

I opened my mouth as his tongue swept in.

We kissed, lingering longer before we finally pull back, both of us panting.

"I love you, y/n." Akutagawa said as my eyes widened in shock.

"I love you." Akutagawa repeated again as I smiled.

"I love you too."