Chapter 3: Lilith's 5th Birthday

In the living room of Riddle Manor, Severus and Tom are sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace, with Lucius and Narcissa sitting to the right of Severus.

"So you weren't able to find anything on her?" Lucius asked.

Tom responds, "No unfortunately. I was really hoping to find at least her last name so Lilith could track her down when she was older".

"And you can't remember what it was Sev?"

Severus sighs, "She never told me and I still don't know why".

Narcissa interjects, "Do you even want to know who she is?".

"Not really. It's more for Lil. I wanted at the very least to give her something to work with so she can find out more about her heritage".

"I get that. If Lucius died right after Draco was born, I would want to find out some more information about him".

"Son, I know you want what's best for Lilith and you think that includes having her mother in her life. But she's more than happy with just us, and now her godparents and Draco".

"You're right, father. But why is that not a more satisfying answer?"

"Maybe it's because you want her to have the life you didn't? When we were at Hogwarts, Sev, I was there when you finally opened up about your home life with a single dad and how lonely you felt when he wasn't there".

"I don't want that for my little girl".

"And it won't be. When Tom took you in, he made you feel loved and cared for. He finally gave you the family you always wanted, which is how we see you raising Lilith".

"Thanks Luc. That makes me feel much better" Severus smiles.

Tom laughs quietly, "Come, let's get the kids. This is Lilith's birthday after all. I'm sure she'd be excited to open her presents". 

Standing up from the couch, the four of them walk down the hall and up the stairs to Lilith's play room where the two children are playing together. Opening the door, they look to see Lilith and Draco playing with blocks and stuffed animals.

Severus calls out to them, "Lil. Dragon".

"Hi daddy!" "Hi Uncle Sev!".

Tom laughs, "Hey guys. Why don't we go downstairs and open some presents?"

"Yay presents!".

As the kids run out the room, Lucius yells out to them, "Careful!".

"They'll be fine dear". 

Lilith and Draco are sitting in front of the fireplace, patiently waiting for the adults to return downstairs. When they do, they return to sitting on the couch together and Tom goes over to grab the presents from the table. He puts them in front of Lilith and watches as her eyes light up in excitement.

Draco grabs one of the presents with balloon covered wrapping paper and hands it to Lilith saying, "This is from me!".

Grabbing the present from his hands and ripping open the wrapping paper, Lilith pulls out a box with a toy version of the Hogwarts express train.

She gasps, "Look daddy, look!".

"I see it baby. Do you like it?".

"Yeah! Thank you Draco!". 

Lilith gives Draco a big hug and goes to grab another present, this time with just plain blue wrapping paper.

"Oh. That one's from mummy and daddy" Draco noted.

Inside the present was some clothes from Narcissa and a child's potions starter set from Lucius. This elicits a small glare from Severus.

"Really Luc?".

"What? You are a potions master after all so I figured at some point she'd be interested in what you do and want to help".

"You're lucky you're my best friend or I'd hex you".

Lilith giggles, "Thank you Uncle Lucy. Thank you Aunt Cissa".

Narcissa replies, "You're very welcome sweetheart". 

Tom goes and grabs a few small presents and hands them to her saying, "These ones are from me Lil".

The presents consist of some small plush animals, children's books about magical animals and a green-coloured blanket.

"Thank you grandpa!".

"You're welcome baby. I'm glad you like them".

Finally, there was one present left on the table, which is from Severus. Grabbing the box from the table, he kneels in front of his daughter and hands her the present.

"Here you go Lilith. Happy Birthday baby".

Opening the present, not noticing Tom get up from the couch and leave the room, she pulls out a small collar. She seemed to be a bit confused as to what this meant, until she looked up and saw her grandfather holding something in his hand. Tom kneels down and puts down what's in his hands. Lilith's eyes light up in happiness as she watches a small kitten run towards her and sit in her lap. Severus smiles brightly at his daughter. Carefully putting the kitten into Dracos' lap, Lilith runs up to her dad with her arms up.

Wrapping her arms around his neck she laughs, "Thank you so much daddy!".

Returning the hug, Severus replies, "You're welcome baby".

Lilith goes back to sitting neck to Draco as the both of them play with the kitten. The four adults all smile at the two children and the new small member of the family.

Tom remarks, "See son? Told you this was a good idea".

Severus laughs, "Yeah yeah. You were right, father".