Chapter 53: Young Heir

Lilith stiffens as she once again hears the same voice from the corridor. Draco notices her stop and walks up to her, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"Lia? You ok?".  

"Shh". She turns to him, "Did you hear that?".

He squints in confusion, "Hear what?".

She opens her mouth to answer but gets interrupted by the same voice, only this time it seems that Severus and Draco were able to hear it.  

"Young one".

The three stop in their place and slowly turn towards the back of the Chamber. The back wall starts to open up like a door and they notice something big slithering towards them. The figure enters into the Chamber and Lilith's eyes widen as she immediately recognises the silhouette.  

She slowly starts walking up, "So you're the one I've been hearing?".

The basilisk leans down slightly, "That I am, young heir".

Severus steps forward, "You've been hearing things, sweetheart?".

She nods, "I know, I should have told you, daddy, but I didn't want to worry you".  

Draco turns to the basilisk, "What did you call her? Young heir?".

It nods, "That she is, my boy. The heir to my master".

Lilith steps closer, "Your master? Who are you?".  

It slithers closer, "My name is Protego. I am what's known as-".

Draco interjects, "The Serpent of Slytherin. Your master...it's Salazar Slytherin, right?".  

"That he is, young Malfoy".

Severus asks, "You know who we are?".

"That I do. Severus Snape. Draco Malfoy. Lilith Snape". It turns to him, "I guess you could say I'm an...old friend of your father's".  

Lilith perks up, "You knew my grandfather?".

"Tom Riddle, yes. He was...different from most. I see a lot of him in you, my dear".

"You do?".

It nods, "Oh yes. Going by magical signature alone...you're practically indistinguishable".

Draco whispers, "That's exactly what Ollivander said".  

Lilith walks forward, "Is that why you called me young heir? Because he's-".

"You're grandfather? Yes. He is the rightful heir to my master, which makes you and your father...heirs as well".

She looks between Protego and Severus, "But...neither of us are blood related to him. How can we be Salazar's heirs?".  

Protego gives her a smirk of some kind, "Magic works in mysterious ways, Lilith. You see, when Tom took your father in as his son, magic bonded the two of them together".  

Draco asks, "Like a blood-bond of sorts?".

"In a way". He turns back to Lilith, "When you were born, that bond got passed onto you. A full blood family".

She nods, "Is that why I was able to open the Chamber?".

"Yes. You hold some of your grandfather's magic".

She smiles to herself and turns to Severus and Draco. The two seem to be quite intrigued by the conversation so far.  

She turns back to Protego, "Your name. It means protector, right?". It nods, "Does that mean you...are able to protect the Chamber? And those inside?".

"Absolutely".

"So does that mean...that my grandfather...could stay here and not be detected?".

"I will always welcome Tom into his rightful home".