Chapter 31: Detention in The Forbidden Forest

Bit of a longer chapter. 

The next night, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco and Lilith are being led to Hagrid's hut by Mr. Filch.  

Filch breaks the silence, "A pity they let the old punishments die. There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming".

Draco and Lilith give each other a scared look.

Filch continues, "You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight. He's got a little job to do inside the dark forest". Hagrid appears with a crossbow, sniffling, "A sorry lot this, Hagrid. Oh good god, man, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?".

Hagrid sighs, "Norbert's gone. Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony".

Hermione smiles, trying to cheer him up, "Well, that's good, isn't it? He'll be with his own kind".

He nods, "Yeah, but what if he doesn't like Romania? What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby, after all".

Filch rolls his eyes, "Oh, for gods sake, pull yourself together, man. You're going into the forest, after all. Got to have your wits about you".

Draco does a double take, "The forest? I thought that was a joke! We can't go in there. Students aren't allowed. And there are..." A howl is heard, "...werewolves!".

Filch responds, "There's more than werewolves in those trees lad. You can be sure of that".

The students look frightened and Lilith grabs one of Draco's arms.

"Nighty-night", Filch calls out as he leaves to go back into the castle.

Hagrid nods, "Right. Let's go". 

Inside the Forbidden Forest, the group walks along a path to a tree, Lilith still holding onto Draco's arm. Hagrid stops, bends down and dips his fingers in a silver puddle. He pulls them out and rubs them together. A silver trail smears with his fingers, causing Lilith and Draco to give each other a look of disgust.

Harry asks, "Hagrid, what's that?".

"What we're here for. See that? That's unicorn's blood, that is". The students' eyes widened, "I found one dead a few weeks ago. Now, this one's been injured badly by something".

Lilith sees something out of the corner of her eye. She turns her head suddenly to see it, but sees nothing. She turns back and Draco looks at her with a questioning look. She shakes her head dismissively.

Hagrid continues, "So, it's our job to find the poor beast. Ron, Hermione, you'll come with me. The two nod in agreement, "And Harry, you'll go with Malfoy and Miss. Snape".

Lilith and Draco grimace, while Harry nods.

Draco sighs, "Fine. If you insist on making us go into the forest on our own, then we at the very least should get Fang".

Hagrid responds, "Alright. Just so you know, he's a bloody coward". Fang whines.

Harry, Draco and Lilith are walking through a part of the forest, with Fang leading. Draco is holding a lamp in his hand, the other occupied by Lilith. 

He huffs, "You wait till my father hears about this. This is servant's stuff".

Harry responds, "If I didn't know any better, Draco, I'd say you were scared".

Lilith laughs at this, "Scared? Trust me, Potter, we've seen worse".

Harry looks at the two, confused what she meant by that. They approach a flat ground with gnarled roots all over. Fang suddenly stops and starts growling.

Harry looks down, "What is it, Fang?".

Looking up ahead, they see a cloaked figure who is crouching over a dead unicorn, drinking its blood from its wound. The figure raises its head, noticing the group, silver blood dripping from its mouth. Harry gasps and grabs his scar, which is hurting.

The boys scream in fear and shock, causing Fang to run away. Lilith just stares at the figure, before getting out her wand and sending a signal up in the air for the others to find them. The figure slides over the unicorn and rises, advancing towards the group.

For some reason, Lilith feels a pull towards the figure. While the boys back up as the figure continues approaching them, Lilith takes a step forward. The figure and the boys seem surprised at this, Draco grabbing her arm to bring her back. She turns to him and nods her head, to which he sighs and brings his hand back to his side. 

She turns back to the figure, trying to keep eye contact with it. The longer she held it, the more she recognised the aura. She smiled. It was her grandfather's.

Suddenly, the sound of hoof-beats can be heard getting closer to them. The figure seemed to hear the sound as well. It turned back to Lilith, who nodded and it retreated. Just as it left out of their sight, another figure leaps over Harry and lands near the unicorn. It was a silver centaur called Firenze.

"Harry Potter, you must leave. You are known to many creatures here. The forest is not safe at this time, Especially for you".

Harry asks, "But what was this thing?".

Firenze responds, "A monstrous creature. It is a terrible crime to slay a unicorn. Drinking the blood of a unicorn will keep you alive even if you are an inch from death. But at a terrible price. You have slain something so pure that the moment the blood touches your lips, you will have a half-life. A cursed life". 

"But who would choose such a life?".

"Can you think of no one?".

Harry gasps, "Do you mean to say...that that thing killed the unicorn...that was drinking its blood...that was Voldermort?".

Draco turns to Lilith, who shakes her head. What she felt was a part of her grandfather, but it's not the true Tom. They suddenly hear Fang barking. They turn around and look up to see Hagrid, Hermione and Ron. Hagrid has his crossbow at the ready, but lowers it when he notices Firenze.

Hermione calls out, "Harry!".

Hagrid smiles, "Hello there, Firenze. I see you've met our young Mr. Potter. You alright there, Harry?". Harry nods.

Firenze interjects, "Harry Potter, this is where I leave you. You're safe now. Good luck".

He turns and runs back into the forest, leaving the group with the dead unicorn. Harry, Draco and Lilith are still trying to decipher what exactly it was they saw. All they know is that it had some sort of connection to Voldermort. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Author's Note ~ 

Thank you all so much for getting this book to almost 15k views. This orignally was just something I wanted to do based  on a daydream I had creating the OC of Lilith. Writing has always been something I liked doing as a hobby, so thank you so much for giving this book a chance 🥰 

As always, if you have an idea that you think would work in this univserse, please feel free to message me and I will make a note of it. 

Also let me know if you want the whole story in one book, or if you think it's better to divide the different years into seperate books. I am more than ok with either option.