Chapter 14: The Sorting Hat

"Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts. I want to express a very special welcome to our new first year students. I am Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster of this school. We will now commence the sorting hat ceremony". 

He gestures to his left where a wizard's hat is sitting on a stool. All of a sudden, the hat starts floating and begins to sing.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folks use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!". 

Lilith and Draco look at each other with a confused look on their faces.

She whispers to him, "I dreamt that, right?".

He shakes his head, "Unfortunately not".

One by one, Professor McGonagall called the first year students up and placed the hat on their head, calling out their chosen house. Then it comes down to Draco's turn.

"Draco Malfoy!". 

He smiles at Lilith before walking up and sitting on the stool.

Right before the hat can be placed completely on his head, it shouts out, "Slytherin!".  

He smiles widely and turns to Lilith who is clapping along with the rest of Slytherin house and some of the other students. After a few other students went, it was Lilith's turn.

"Lilith Snape".

She looks up at the teacher's table, smiling at where her father was sitting. As she walks up to the hat, she could hear a few students whispering. She assumed this was from students who knew him as Professor Snape and wondered if she was actually his daughter.  Even Professor McGonagall looked back at Severus when she called out Lilith's name. Sitting on the stool, McGonagall placed the sorting hat on her head.

She suddenly hears a voice, which she assumed to be the hat, "Ah, Severus' daughter I see. Such a powerful witch you are, and incredibly smart as well. You could fit in any of the houses but I suspect you have a preference".

She laughs quietly, "That I do".

"Of course. And I know that as Tom's grand-daughter, you would make the most difference with Salazar's house".

"You know about my grandfather and are ok with it?".

"Of course my dear". The hat yells, "Let it be, Slytherin!". 

She smiles and turns to look at her father, who is clapping along with the rest of Slytherin and looking at her with a very proud look on his face. Standing up, she starts to walk towards the Slytherin table who seem really happy to have her. She sees Draco stand from where he sat and pulls her into a big hug. Laughing quietly, the two of them sit next to each other. Looking around the table, the other Slytherins were congratulating her. This is definitely where she belongs.

A few more students went up then the sorting ceremony was concluded. Dumbledore stood back up and walked over to his stand.

"Now that the sorting ceremony is completed, the feast will begin in a few moments. Before that, I would like to say a few words. Nitwit! Blubber! Tweak! Thank you. Now let the feast commence!".

Lilith turns to Draco with a slightly shocked look on her face.

Turning to one of the older Slytherins in front of her she asks, "Is that normal?".

They nod, "Unfortunately, yes. Most of us think he's an absolute nutcase. I have a theory that he had to pull some strings to get to be headmaster".

Lilith laughs, "That would explain a lot".

Nodding, they start to feast on the variety of foods that appeared on the table in front of them. Now Lilith definitely knew this was where she was meant to be.