Chapter 41: Herbology and Howler

Lilith had gone straight to Draco's dorm, venting to him, Blaise and Theo about the events of the night. They tried their best to calm her down but ultimately just let her get her anger out, before she crashed on Draco's bed.  

The next day, the four of them meet with Pansy and Daphne, and start heading to Herbology with the Gryffindors. They head into the Greenhouse, some other students already there.

After all the students take their place, Professor Sprout enters the room, "Good morning everyone!".

"Good morning, Professor Sprout!".  

She smiles, "Welcome to Greenhouse Three, Second Years. Now, gather around, everyone. Today we are going to repot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake roots?".

Of course, Hermione raises her hand.

Professor Sprout points to her, "Yes Miss. Granger?".

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been Petrified to their original state. It is also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it".

Theo whispers, "Your voice is fatal".

The group of friends snicker quietly as to not draw attention to themselves.  

Professor Sprout smiles, "Excellent! Ten points to Gryffindor! Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings their cries won't kill you yet. But they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I have given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So, could you please put them on, right away? Quickly!". The students place them on following her directions, "Flaps tight down, and watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply up out of the pot...".

The Mandrake seedling starts crying loudly. The students closer to Professor Sprout step back slightly from the shock of the noise.  

"Got it? And...now you dunk it down into the other pot and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm".

All of a sudden, they hear a thud on the Gryffindor side of the room. Blaise looks over the table, not able to identify who exactly it was that is on the floor.

Professor Sprout sighs, "Uh, it seems Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs".

One of the boys, Seamus, responds, "No, ma'am, he's just fainted".  

She nods, "Yes, well, just leave him there. Right! On we go! Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake, and pull it up!".

It's now time for lunch and the group of Slytherins are sitting in the Great Hall, Lilith recounting what happened the night before; her father telling her what Dumbledore said right after she left.

Pansy sighs, "He actually expected your father to apologise?".

Lilith nods, "That's what he told me". 

Theo chimes in. "Wow. I knew I didn't like the Headmaster before, but this takes it to a whole new level now".

The group nods in agreement and hears the sounds of an owl entering the Great Hall. Looking up they see a scraggly looking owl flying towards the Gryffindor table and drops a letter in front of Ron, who had a very scared look on his face.

Seamus yells out, "Look everyone! Weasley's got himself a Howler!".

The hall breaks out in laughter and the Slytherins start to smirk, waiting for him to open it and reveal the message. They watch him grab it and slowly open the letter.  

All of a sudden, a woman's voice fills the hall, "RONALD WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME! Oh, and Ginny, dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud!".

The group starts laughing. This definitely made Lilith's day and almost made up for the night before. This was the punishment she wanted him to get.